1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is your earliest memory?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Apr 3, 2014.

What is your earliest memory?

Poll closed May 3, 2014.
  1. Before I was two years old

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Two to three years old

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Three to five years old

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  4. Five to Seven years old

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Seven to ten years old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 10 - 20 years old

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. more than 20 years old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I don't have any memories

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Carrots are my only reality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

My parents said I was 3-years-old when I had my tonsils out. I remember coming to in a dark room and being scared. It was quiet and there was no one there. My parents had given me a little stuffed clown. It had it there with me and I still remember what it looked like.

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Good topic.

I'd have to say at about 3 1/2, hiding in the cabinet underneath the television. I was scared of my parents.

3. slobake

Wow! Why were you scared of your parents? I hope I am not being too personal.

4. JimK

JimK

Look at Tasty's avatar...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

mine also involves a clown
    I was 2, at a parade in Houston or somewhere. A clown in the parade chased me into a mini market & I was running through the aisles with this f-ing clown chasing me! Rad.

Also when I was 2 or 3 I jumped off a tall slide to show off to my babysitter. I bit my tongue & had blood pouring out of my mouth. she tried to take me to the girls' bathroom to wash my mouth but I refused cuz NAAAA that's for chicks only. Had two little holes in my tongue for a while.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I don't know how old I was, but I remember yellow walls and sunlight. That was in Coronado, when my dad was in the Navy. We moved to Ohio when I was two. I remember the ruts the moving vans made in the yard when we moved. That's the first clear memory. There are lots of things I remember after that.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

My first memory was when I was 3 years old. I remember my younger brother who was about 7 or 8 months old walking up to the coffee table, and everyone who was there talking about how crazy it was that he was already walking.

9. slobake

Are you making that up? It sounds like a B-Grade horror movie. "Cannibal Psycho Clowns " :p :bag:

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I was 3-1/2 or 4. I ran away from home with our dog. My dad found me at the end of our driveway.

11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I remember sitting in an ambulance next to my brother, who was wearing a bright yellow mac. Turned out we were accompanying my mother to hospital for an emergency gall-stone removal operation, and my dad had no-one to leave us with. I was 2.

Strangely, my next earliest memory is from school when I was about 7.

Ah...all those drugs wiped out 5 years of my life.

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Wow. You made it that far? Good job.

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I put less than 2 years, because I have a very vivid memory of our blue carpet and off-white couch with big blue flower print, viewed from a very low angle (crawling or very short?) of the house we moved out of when I was 2.

I've talked to my Mom & Dad about this before. They seemed to think I might be BS'ing them at first or something because I was so young at the time, but my level of detail describing things that I had not seen in some old picture or something said otherwise.

Watch what you do and say around kids, folks. They're smarter than you think. My memories were good ones, but if that had been some ugly situation, it could've just as easily been burned into my psyche forever. And those are just the conscious memories. When you get to sub-conscious stuff, I believe anything and everything you are exposed to from birth, if not even before, has an effect..

14. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Sitting on a blue plastic rocking horse from Fisher-Price or something. I couldn't have been older than 2-2&1/2.

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Naw, I don't care. My parents were very heavy handed. My mother was raped by her father and held to dangle over a balcony. She parented the same way to us and apparently a heavy handed style was popular in Scotland at the time. My dad worked all day and my mom did most of the parenting. And both my parents about 5 years ago admitted to me that they were angry at me for many years after I was born. My dad claims my mom got pregnant with me to save their failing marriage at the time in 73'. Not to get too far off topic, but since you asked, my family has had a long history of physical and mental abuse all over. My grandfather used to hit my grandmother if she didn't iron his money. And so on...My siblings and I are the first to break that cycle.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I have a young friend who has been through some of that stuff. She's determined to break the cycle as well. I have complete respect for people like her and like you who can do that, since they are the people who make the world a better place than it was when they were born.

17. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I was about 3. My sister had one of those little drum sets and the skin on the bass drum was broken. Naturally I climbed inside the drum and rolled around.

I also clearly remember about a year later when my mom got the stomach flu and my dad was having to take care of us. I wanted a baked potato for dinner and when my dad told me he could make one I was amazed. I only thought my mom knew how to cook.

18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

That's a tough read, man. Thanks for sharing.

19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    :bawl:

I don't know what to say Tasty, other than God bless, and don't be afraid to talk about stuff like this. Look deep insid yourself and put any tendancies in check before they run another generation. Don't drown them in booze or drugs, rather deal with them, man. Then leave that stuff in the past where it belongs.

20. slobake

I am sorry to hear this but I am really glad you and your siblings broke the cycle. We don't have to accept things as they are with the excuse "It runs in my family" or "That's just the way I am." I don't buy it. Congrats to the tastybasslines family. :hyper:

21. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Jesus, man. That IS a tough read. Anyone who ever thinks they had it tough as a kid needs to pause for a minute to think about what other kids have to go through.
    Good for you though for overcoming and breaking the cycle!!