1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is your favorite P/J style bass for under $500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aparker82, Oct 29, 2012.

1. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Kentucky
    Mine would have to be a Fender Lyte, had a chance to buy one a couple years back and passed...wished I would have snagged it when I had the chance. Anyways, what's your favorite?

2. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  3. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    I'm in love with my new Squier Precision Bass Standard (P/J), so much so I just bought another one. Before that, the only P/J I owned was a Fender Precision Bass Plus (Lace sensors, boner bass). Sounded OK but I always thought the Lace Sensors sounded very sterile.

4. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Spector NS2A or Yamaha BB

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Ditto on the Squier. I am looking for a second one now. This is really an amazing instrument. However, I am a Peavey fan, and you have encouraged me to look for a Zodiac! the GAS never stops.

6. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Kentucky
    Do the squiers sounds as good as a lyte or better perhaps?

7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm very happy with my Fender Modern Player Jaguar. I did put a DP148 DiMarzio in the bridge position to go noiseless. I also went to stacked 62 style pots.

Very well made instrument for not much cash, and my favorite P/J ever.

Bob

8. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Modern player jaguar!

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I am very happy with my Squier VM Jaguar "Standard", but then again, you don't get much for under 500$ around here!

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Newport News, VA via NYC
    Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    My Faux Fender Squier. Completely tricked out. New tuners, Fender Bridge w/threaded saddles, Straploks, EMG active P/J with BTC & EMG concentric Volume/volume knob.

11. MrPierre

MrPierre

Oct 22, 2012
    I have an Ibanez Roadstar II (P-bass) from the early eighties that I absolutely love. Paid 175$ for it 5 years ago, it was my first bass.

I'll play that bass until it dies on me before I get a modern Squier.

12. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    This!

13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg
    If I'd go out and buy one right now, I'd pick up an LTD Vintage 4

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I know the Yamaha BB's are under $500, but can you get an NS2A for that?
    Dont get me wrong I had one and I LOVED it, but I thought the used ones were a little above $500 lately.

I'd also like to know if the OP wants active or passive. If he wants passive I recommend the Schecter Model T.
    Brand new they're $100 over budget but used ones can be had for less. I got mine new on Amazon a couple years ago for about $375 when they were doing one of those deals where they keep dropping the price everyday until a couple get sold and then the price goes back up.
    Its an excellent bass- I got the butterscotch finish- maple neck with rosewood FB, alder body, Duncan SPB-2 and SJB-2 pickups (the 'hot' version of that series) and it sounds tremendous!

15. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    The original early 80's Hamer Cruisebasses, what's not to love about an all mahagony, set neck P/J Jass bass;).

16. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    Late '80's USA Peavey Foundation S. Best P/J I have ever owned or played. If I were to ever move back to a 4 string that is the bass I would seek out.

17. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
  18. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Kentucky
    I've owned both active and passive and would be fine with either, just looking for something that plays well and has a great tone :)

19. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    i have a squier p bass special, i use it live all the time!