1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is your favorite P/J style bass for under $500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aparker82, Oct 29, 2012.

1. aparker82

aparker82 Supporting Member

Mine would have to be a Fender Lyte, had a chance to buy one a couple years back and passed...wished I would have snagged it when I had the chance. Anyways, what's your favorite?
  2. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

Godin Freeway 4
  3. GK Growl

GK Growl

I'm in love with my new Squier Precision Bass Standard (P/J), so much so I just bought another one. Before that, the only P/J I owned was a Fender Precision Bass Plus (Lace sensors, boner bass). Sounded OK but I always thought the Lace Sensors sounded very sterile.
  4. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Spector NS2A or Yamaha BB
  5. Risen Ashes

Risen Ashes

Peavey Zodiac's.
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Ditto on the Squier. I am looking for a second one now. This is really an amazing instrument. However, I am a Peavey fan, and you have encouraged me to look for a Zodiac! the GAS never stops.
  7. aparker82

Do the squiers sounds as good as a lyte or better perhaps?
  8. Bobster

Bobster

I'm very happy with my Fender Modern Player Jaguar. I did put a DP148 DiMarzio in the bridge position to go noiseless. I also went to stacked 62 style pots.

Very well made instrument for not much cash, and my favorite P/J ever.

Bob
  9. rockscott

rockscott

Modern player jaguar!
  10. JACink

JACink

I am very happy with my Squier VM Jaguar "Standard", but then again, you don't get much for under 500$ around here!
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    My Faux Fender Squier. Completely tricked out. New tuners, Fender Bridge w/threaded saddles, Straploks, EMG active P/J with BTC & EMG concentric Volume/volume knob.
  12. MrPierre

MrPierre

I have an Ibanez Roadstar II (P-bass) from the early eighties that I absolutely love. Paid 175$ for it 5 years ago, it was my first bass.

I'll play that bass until it dies on me before I get a modern Squier.
  13. JMac4strngr

JMac4strngr 4th degree Slacker Supporting Member

This!
  14. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

If I'd go out and buy one right now, I'd pick up an LTD Vintage 4
  15. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

I know the Yamaha BB's are under $500, but can you get an NS2A for that?
    Dont get me wrong I had one and I LOVED it, but I thought the used ones were a little above $500 lately.

I'd also like to know if the OP wants active or passive. If he wants passive I recommend the Schecter Model T.
    Brand new they're $100 over budget but used ones can be had for less. I got mine new on Amazon a couple years ago for about $375 when they were doing one of those deals where they keep dropping the price everyday until a couple get sold and then the price goes back up.
    Its an excellent bass- I got the butterscotch finish- maple neck with rosewood FB, alder body, Duncan SPB-2 and SJB-2 pickups (the 'hot' version of that series) and it sounds tremendous!
  16. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

The original early 80's Hamer Cruisebasses, what's not to love about an all mahagony, set neck P/J Jass bass;).
  17. smogg

smogg

Late '80's USA Peavey Foundation S. Best P/J I have ever owned or played. If I were to ever move back to a 4 string that is the bass I would seek out.
  18. Zoa

Zoa

Yamaha BB
  19. aparker82

I've owned both active and passive and would be fine with either, just looking for something that plays well and has a great tone :)
  20. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

i have a squier p bass special, i use it live all the time!