1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is your most preferred BOSS distortion/od/fuzz, etc?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by torza, Dec 12, 2013.

1. torza

torza

I'm in the market for a new gain pedal and wanted to hear what some of you prefer as far as the BOSS line. Obviously something that doesn't lose bottom end is preferred. Clips of the ODB3 are iffy, but I like that it has a blend. The MD-2 sounds interesting as well...
  2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a Boss user, but this video might help you in your search:
  3. torza

torza

Thanks! A very good comparison. I saw one comparing the MD2 and ODB3 that was good too
  4. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

I do not like the odb3 it's ugly to my ears but yes with a blend it could probably be worked out... For me the best sounding is the sd1 but it is going to cut out some bass unless you find or have it modded a bit.... But by far its my fav boss dirt
  5. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I think John Stockman from Karnivool used the ODB-3 on their second record. His tone on "Simple Boy" is very good. The Adaptive Distortion also sounds very good. My dirt needs are more than covered, but it would still be fun to try.
  6. roninrindra

roninrindra

ODB3...flea uses it for live concert..
  7. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I've wanted a Metal zone 2 MT-2 for a while. They are cheap and sound pretty cool from the vids i've heard. They have a bass, mid and treble knob which is great for tweakability. ODB3 I didn't like it that much. It's definitely not an overdrive as they say.
  8. Sorefinger

Sorefinger

Same here. The low cut is not dramatic IME - nothing I couldn´t live with. For me, the sound more than makes up for it.
  9. jking138

jking138

Why Boss? out of curiosity.
    I've owned an ODB3 (sold it) and used an DS1, and neither were that great. With the guitar distortions you loose low-end and the ODB3 is a bit of a one trick pony. Good if you like that specific tone, which can sound great, but thats kinda it.
    If you do go for a guitar distortion and EQ after it will help bump up the low-end again.
    There are tons of bass distortions now from lots of different manufactures, so my advice would be to go to a shop and try as many as you can and buy second hand.
    Paying £30 for a couple of pedals secondhand is way less economic then £80 for a new ODB3 (which you might fall out of love with after a couple of weeks like me).
  10. torza

torza

Haven't heard enough of the SD to tell you the truth. It seems like it doesn't get too intense from what people are saying (I could be wrong though) and I'd like something that can go from mild to fuzz.

As for why a BOSS... they just work for me. I have 5 other BOSS pedals, and they're so reliable, quiet, and work well together. Can't say the same for some of the other purchases I've made. Call me OCD... haha
  11. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

The sd1 one doesn't quite reach raging distortion and it also doesn't quite do clean boost IMO its a medium overdrive I used it with other drives to reach heavy distortion but its my go to guy and a muff fir fuzz so yeah
  12. jking138

jking138

Fair enough, I'm not a massive Boss fan but there is a reason they are so popular. I found my ODB3 was noisier then my Ibanez PhatHed, which helped my decision, but they are built like tanks. Just don't limit yourself to a particular brand, if its not what you want don't buy it just because its Boss, try some others but the ODB3 would be my bet and it has its uses.
  13. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Not anymore. He uses a B:Assmaster.

As far as boss distortions I have tried and enjoyed these on bass:
    HM2
    FZ2
    SD1
    ODB3- though you really gotta tweak the knobs to get something that isn't so abrasive sounding. My opinion.
  14. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The odb really shines in front of a valve head.
    The md2 sounds reasonable, but I found it got lost in a mix.
    The hm2 is a real diamond for huge fuzz sounds :)
    The other plus point for boss pedals is that there are plenty of bass friendly mods out there
  15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

I have an ODB-3 and performed the Wampler mods on it. Less than $5 in components and you lose that sandpaper edge.
  16. connected2aj

connected2aj

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Godlyke, Hartke, & Hipshot

I talked to John when Karnivool played NYC, & I asked what he was using for his distorted tone & be told me the ODB-3. I was kinda shocked. I love his tone on Simple Boy. So I might grab one just for fun.