What is your style of playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WashburnAB95, Apr 10, 2014.

1. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

So I got a question today about what is harder guitar or bass... I have just thought about a new wrinkle to this question. When I play guitar I have found that with just about any song I want to play I can find the resources to play it just about like the origional every time. However with bass I have found this not to be true.

Particularly with Church music that I do it is almost impossible to figure out what the origional bass line is to most songs. Even if I can learn the album bass line it might not always fit with what else the band is doing.

So what I have learned to do is get a feel for the song and improv to that feel. I have crappy musical memory so I find it is different almost every time I play. Sometimes I am amazing but unfortunatly I won't remember what I played :)

So this brings me to my question. Do you rehearse and learn specific exact bass lines to songs that you play over and over? Or do play by feel slighty differnt each time?
  2. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Depend, play bass only for root and fifth in an easy song/time/tempo/chord progression is easier than play guitar.
    Play guitar like strumming simple chord progression in simple song is easier than play bass like...Jaco obviously LOL

Learn to read and write the bassline of songs (you play) so you won't have to memorize so hard.
    Learn music theory (e.g. chordal scale, chord progression etc)..so even if you create your own interpreted bass line of a song or improvisation, you'll stll do it right and in the context.

For learning purpose, for example to know how Jaco or James Jamerson bassline works, I think We should learn it note for note exactly as they did. Make a note (transcribe) here and there, read other's transcription, listen carefully to the song, learn the melody, the chord progressions, the beat, the lyric (!), all of it..repeat the process until you really 'grab' it. That's how to learn IMHO.
    It will richen our vocabulary and improve our bass playing... and in the process it will also train our musical memory.. brain, muscle, ear, and soul.
  3. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

my style is "ham hands"
  4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Less is more.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

it depends i suppose, i like to imporvise a lot in my plaing so little licks and fills will never really be the same twice but i mainly play originals so that obviously gives me a huge amount of scope as i write the lines myself...

when i occasionally do a covers band i try and learn as close to what the original player did but sometimes I cant quite work it our so i play as close as i can and other times the lineup to my band dont match the orginal recording so i have to flesh it out a bit. and i like to add some licks and fills too :)

i cant really play that many basslines though. i never really learnt any. i just sort of learnt to play instead which i suppose is why i like to keep things a bit loose and bring my own style to it... but there are some basslines that are so cool you've just gotta learn them note perfect. I've recently been learning a load of beatles basslines note perfect and it is useful to see exactly how someone else plays...

so essentailly i guess im saying that i usually improvise a bit but have recently learnt the value of getting things spot on
  7. stratovani

stratovani

I try to get into the spirit of the song, and make sure to support the song and lock in with the drummer. To me that a lot more important than nailing the bass lines exactly. I'm in a Tom Petty tribute, and fortunately for me Ron Blair's bass lines are fairly simple.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I always start with note-for-note. It's a great way to get into someone else's style, and expand my playing. After some time, I may end up changing things for many different reasons.

I don't know if I have a "style."