What? Jaco pickups? "That" Jaco?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Dec 20, 2013.

1. millsbass5

millsbass5

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

3. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

That thing is a mess!

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The pickups were obviously hand wound by Jaco "Larry Graham 95" Pastorious. You can tell by the placement of the split coil and the pickup cover on the the bridge pickup. This also looks like a Graham Nash relic, world renowned for his accuracy in replicating vintage distress and also for singing on "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes". It's a steal and you'd have to be an idiot to pass it up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

I'm confused :confused:. You've lost me, partner. If your reply is serious, that is. But, I do know one thing, the red pup cover on that J pup? That's a straight-up flashback from the 80's. Anybody remember the multi-colored pup covers that was all the rage back in the day? :bassist:

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Dude...the red pickup cover is a dead giveaway! This bass was undoubtedly luthiered by Jaco. You obviously know nothing about Jaco and his career as a pickup maker under the name of Larry Graham 95. Shame;)

8. Doctor J

Doctor J

I see it was also set up by Larry, so that the E string is hanging off the fretboard and the G is almost where the D should be. This is the optimum setup for slap, according to my friend on youtube. It allows you up to 20% more pop. The pickups are clearly Jaco pickups. He frequently didn't play P pickups and, as a result, there were many P pickups he didn't play, known as Jaco pickups in the 70's. This bass also allows swift transition to Jaco's favoured "no scratchplate" configuration by only using a couple of screws to hold it on, allowing for rapid removal.

Do you think Larry signed it just to make the bad man leave his house?

9. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    I am Albert Hoffman, and I approve this thread.

10. dutchwife

dutchwife

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Delano Pickups, Spector Basses
    What?? JWF, quit that malarkey! I'm Albert Hoffman and I haven't decided yet....