1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

what jaguar bass for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobler, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Noobler

Noobler

I'm am buying my first bass guitar and i need help deciding between the the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass special and the SX Ursa 4 PJ.

Any help/opinions will be much appreciated. :)

Links:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/product6531.html

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Special-106505464-i1788090.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CIzf4NG8y7wCFY1cMgodvjAAoQ&kwid=productads-plaid^65676189042-sku^106505464@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27115526082
  2. cnltb

cnltb

Always the best one you can afford (the one you like best if you can afford it).

I think an instrument you REALLY get along with will last you longer than a compromise and will therefore be cheaper in the longer run.
  3. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Both seem to be very well regarded here and both are well built and sound good. I personally would buy the Squier. Because when you decide to upgrade which you will if you hang around talkbass enough you will probably get more value when you sell it at least in my area. That and I think the headstock looks better on the Squier than the newer sx models.

But both can be easily and cheaply upgraded.

Basically you can't really go wrong with either.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

All options you'll find

I really think that active tone contol is better on both crimson red or 3ts P/J 'cause the basswood body acquires clarity thru it.

All other models:
    passive big block P/J
    active black P/J
    all humbucker models

are agathis body basses, so the tone stays consistent yet a bit lackin' in dynamics.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Either will do quite well. I used to have the passive version of the Squier and liked it a lot, only sold it because I wasn't gigging 4-strings at the time. I'd take it back in a heartbeat. I haven't had that particular SX, but I've had a couple of their jazz basses and they passed muster. Quality control can be hit-or-miss with them based on others' reports, but I didn't have a problem with the two I owned. I'd say a lot would depend on how you like the looks of them and whether active vs. passive makes a difference to you. Personally I prefer passive, but that's me.
  6. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Squier has improved and the Indonesian models are great, I have the fretless 'Jaco' Jazz which plays and sounds fantastic. I also helped get a new Jaguar at the local music shop for a beginner who wanted something that didn't cost much, it sounded nice and looked sexy....the neck was very stable and the price was only $165!
  7. Bobster

Bobster

8. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Both are good basses, but I think the VM is better.
  9. Noobler

Noobler

I decided to get the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass special. Thanks for the help!
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Good choice! One thing about the Squier VM Jaguar Special though.
    It will likely need a truss rod tweak, saddles lowered and the fret edges are sharp. In other words, it'll likely need a setup like most budget basses bought new. I bought one, the red p/j active - it's a fantastic value and plays really well- I was able to do my own setup so it's nice and low and feels just right for me, only thing left to do are the fret edges as they are really sharp (ouch). .