1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What kind of bass should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ALX95, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ALX95

ALX95

So I need some help. I'm planning on getting a new four string bass, since my old five string doesn't really work for me anymore. The problem is my budget. I would really like to get a Sterling Ray34 Silverburst, but I can't afford it.

My price range is around 400 to 500 euros (I live in Finland). I've been looking online and so far the best one I've found has been the Jackson Dave Ellefson Kelly Bird. I really like a lot of things about it; the design is really cool, active electronics and EMG pickups. But it also has a lot of issues. I know it's gonna be neck heavy, which I hate, and frankly I would like to get something a bit more... higher in quality (I've also bad experiences with Jacksons in the past).

The main things I'm looking in a bass are that it's a four stringer, has low action, is comfortable to play, and (maybe) has active pickups (preferably EMG's). So can anybody help me with this?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    You ever try a Squier VM series Jazz or P bass?...quite good for the price and easy to upgrade or tweak to your liking...just another thought.

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

if youd like a stingray, a lot of manufacturers make stingray copies. Iirc, Dean has some with MM humbuckers for short money. Essex also has the jazz with a MM at the bridge, and I remember seeing a Stagg stingray copy once. Im sure there are others, but yeah.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

7. Dirk Rockbottom

Dirk Rockbottom

I bought a MIM Fender Jazz on sale for $522, street price was $599. It has great action, straight neck. The only problem I've had is going straight through a P.A. (No amp) with my church band. My sound engineer always complains that it's not loud enough. But it sounds just fine through my GK-115 combo.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'd tell you go the CBx Ellefson road

The body is now alder while MIJ XL models from 20+ years ago were poplar (very heavy and poorly resonant)

Neckheel's been redesigned by Fender techs (Fender runs Jackson nowadays) for better access and comfort

Three band active equalizer are silent and powerful and, yes, EMG35 do their job fine (still stayin' passive: just MIA Jackson sport their active version)

I got one, is quicksilver, I tuned it a full step down (D, G, C, F)
    and placed a Hipshot GB7 bass extender to tune it C, G, C, F if
    need be

Good bass for less than $. 400.00 comprising Hipshot detuner:)

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. ALX95

ALX95

Thanks for all the replies :) After thinking about it I'll probably go either the Jackson or the Sub route. There's a store not too far from here which has both basses, so I'll probably go and try both of them out and see which one works best for me. First I'll have to just sell my five-string in order to get some money.