1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What kind of clear gloss for my Squier headstock?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HLF, Jan 21, 2013.

1. HLF

HLF

Hi all, this is my first post here on TB. I love the glossy clearcoat on the face of Fender's 2008-present Am. Std. headstocks, and would love to have the same look on my Squier fretless. I am NOT removing the Squier name- I actually want to show it off!:bassist:
    Would a spray-on Poly from Home Depot or Lowe's (or anywhere else) do the trick? Any help is much appreciated- thanks in advance, everyone.
  2. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

reranch.com sell clear nitrocellulose
  3. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Several thin layers of spray on poly, such as Minwax, along with wet-sanding with very fine grit sandpaper (I'd go from 1000 to 2000) after it dries for a few days, will do the trick. Be sure to remove the tuners and string tree. It make the job easier if you remove the neck as well.
  4. 4001

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

^^ deft can take an extremely long time to dry. Much longer than other lacquers.

Spray on poly is what fender uses unless otherwise specified. A few good layers, wet sanding and buffing it up to a shine will give you that flat, high gloss finish that doubles as a mirror.

Of course the same thing could be done with a lacquer, and it'll take less time and be easier to touch up since there won't be any witness lines if you sand through a layer or two in one spot.
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I would advise against laquer over poly. It could peel over time. But, it might not. The headstock doesn't get a lot of wear, so it *might* be OK there. I wouldn't do it anywhere else on the bass though. Poly over poly is a much safer bet.
  7. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

8. 4001

Took me two weeks and 15 coats. I had the time. Was worth it. Then again, I took the headstock to bare wood, sealed it, painted and decaled it and then applied the Deft. I consulted someone I used to work with at Hamer and he suggested Deft to be the best. The guy is a finish expert. Deft dries to the touch very quickly. No major manufacturer is going to rush through the finish process if they want it right. You have to have patience and give the coats time to cure.
  9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

But, with other lacquers that produce the same quality of finish, it's generally hard enough to buff out in 3 days or less.
  10. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I used Krylon on a body. Buffed through 5 coats of it and through the paint... by hand. So I won't recommend that.

I'd say WATCO CLEAR LACQUER is the best stuff I've used. Easy to spray on a great headstock finish. Available at Woodcraft stores.
  11. 4001

Good enough.
  12. HLF

HLF

I think I'll try the spray on poly/ wet sanding method- seems to be the most compatible with the existing neck finish.Thanks for the replies!