What kind of life can I expect out of Tapewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Venturing down a new string path. Dont we all? Bought a set of D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewounds from BSO and they will arrive soon. Very anxious to try these out. Bedroom bassist and jam with a friend once a week. These are going on my 'other' bass. Dont play it much at all except when I get the feeling to. Maybe more if I like the new strings.

Curious about string life on these? More curious if the nylon windings like to peel off or if the strings die inside before that? Since I dont play it much I am worried if the nylon protects from rusting issues as well?

Any input appreciated.
  2. 4Banger4

4Banger4

I had a set of Fender Nylon Tapewounds on my Geddy for a bit. Not sure if it was the strings or other factors but after playing them for a few months I noticed the strings setting right on the fretboard.. the nut was already worn down. Could have been due to something else but that was just my experience. I've also heard they're not good for the frets, not sure why, seems like they'd be easier on them. :confused:

I don't know what style music you play, but I know when I would play faster tempo pieces and would do some sliding the strings would burn the snot out of my fingers.

Other than all that, they seemed to keep their tone and hold up reasonably well for the few months I had them on there.

You asked for input and there is mine. :smug: Good luck and report back how you like them.

- Cheers
  3. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Hey 4banger, thanks for the report. I am kind of a nut about fret wear. It bugs me and thats one reason I tend to shy away from aggressive rounds. Did you notice alot of fretwear with your tapes? They seem like they wouldnt wear the frets with a nice winding of nylon cushion on them.
  4. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Agree. But consider the torture the frets inflict on the tapes!!

I only use tapes on the fretless basses. They kinda compliment each other. :p
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I cant wait to play these strings. Also now curious to see what kind of issues may arise. ;) Experimentation is all in the tone game.
  7. CauliColin

CauliColin

Are they healthy on a fretless bass? Just wondering.
  8. rickdog

rickdog

I've been using GHS tapewounds on my fretless for years, and have no plans to change. I thought they would be rather deep, dark, and toneless, but not so! Not bright and zingy like the half-rounds I used to use, but there's some crisp high end in the tone when I want it.

They last a long time as long as I don't get carried away and slap them into the pickup pole pieces. That eventually starts to tear up the nylon wrap, I actually had an E string unwind on me (I knew that was coming, and it self-destructed while I was changing it).

As 4banger4 said, they can get hot when you slide! They don't soak up the heat like a metal string. The trick for me is to avoid pressing too hard on the string when sliding.
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Tapes in general work great on both fretted and fretless.

I know people who don't change tapes until the tape is literally unwrapped and dragging on the floor...
  10. CauliColin

CauliColin

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a set of older Fenders. They lasted me a week. I still have them and they're fine. That's just how long it took before I got annoyed with them ;)
  12. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

I put some on one of my basses and also noticed the nut deteriorating and breaking up under the E string.....this is a bone nut and only 2 years old so I'm going to have to get a new nut put in......I had those strings on it for over 1 year and they still sounded great.....
  13. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I haven't heard anything positive about Fenders, so we'll rule those out. I love my D'Addario Tapewounds on my Squier Standard Precision V (Jazz electronics). They sound really good, feel great and look downright cool. I'm going to get a set for my Ibanez AEB5E acoustic when the stock bronze strings are dead and dull. Love me some Tapes!

[​IMG]
  14. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've used Labella nylon tape wounds on my fretless 5 for years. After 3 or 4 years on the bass, I tried a new set to see if there would be any tone change. There wasn't any. The new set sounded just like the 4 year old set.
  15. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

I ran a set of the Labella tapewounds for about 6 months on my P-bass, until the G unwound on me. Quite a buzz. I ordered a set of 50-110 flat wounds to try instead. Nice, but much higher tension and nowhere as mellow as the Labellas (should have gone lighter). Just wish the tape wounds would last longer.
  16. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

Ive had labella tapewounds on an fretted acoustic electric that I use for charting out stuff and infrequent acoustic jams. Same strings have been on for 5+ years. No problems with wear (strings, frets, nut) so far.

OP, you stated they would be for a 'backup' instrument...perhaps you will get a ton of life out of yours like me. Good luck with your experimenting!
  17. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

WHOA! Boys....I think I have found my string. These things melt me I swear. They are perfect on this bass (Ibanez GSR200) they keep the Ibbys growl and are very percussive and throaty. The tone of this bass sounds much more refined and 'expensive'.

The E and G sound fantastic. So much personality in them now.

Fantastic. I am blown away. My expectations are far exceeded. :D
  18. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

which strings are you referring to?
  19. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

He must have been blown away...
  20. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

D'Addario Tapewounds.
  21. Scott1

Scott1 Supporting Member

Yes! I love them too. One of my sons gave me a new set for Christmas as my last set has been on my Ibanez SR900 for over a year (daily play for 1-1.5 hrs/day).

The old set sounded fine, but I figured there must be degredation after a year. The new set sounds exactly the same, so I kept the old ones as back ups as they obviously have life left. I'll bet they would have lasted another year.

I only play finger style, no picks, no slapping, and have not seen any problems with the coating or my frets. I have a light touch and have not had problems burning my fingers on slides either.

Hope you enjoy them. :)