1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What kind of mics can I "combine"

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by uOpt, Jan 24, 2013.

1. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I need an analyser mic but I also need a regular studio vocals mic. In addition to that I also need a stereo setup for making videos with the DSLR camera.

I wonder whether I can do anything here to combine some if it instead of starting a collection.

An analyser mic does two things: it is omnidirectional [edited] and it is linear including the bottom, and it's bass response doesn't depend on the distance from the source. I think I could live without the omnidirectional aspect, it would be fine for me if I had to analyse by pointing at the speakers.

Any recommendations? Does anyone simply use a studio vocal mic or some directional mic for an analyser?
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Every reference mic I've seen for RTAs or impulse measurements was an omni, not a uni (uni=directional). There are plenty of usable cheap ones, but there are also some medium price ones that work well for overheads or recording acoustic instruments. If you're on a tight budget I'd shoot for one of those.
  3. seamonkey

seamonkey

For measurement mics see:
    http://www.realtraps.com/art_microphones.htm
    They are Omni
    The behringer rates very good. It will work as a good omni mic for other uses, like as a overhead drum mic.

$50 then you have all kinds of money left over for vocal mics ... that's the hard choice.
  4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Woah, Behringer? :shudder:

On the other hand, I could stand the analyser mic to go out and not suffer too much. In fact I'm curious whether today's Behringer stuff is indeed less trashy than what I have.