1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

What kind of mics can I "combine"

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by uOpt, Jan 24, 2013.

1. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I need an analyser mic but I also need a regular studio vocals mic. In addition to that I also need a stereo setup for making videos with the DSLR camera.

I wonder whether I can do anything here to combine some if it instead of starting a collection.

An analyser mic does two things: it is omnidirectional [edited] and it is linear including the bottom, and it's bass response doesn't depend on the distance from the source. I think I could live without the omnidirectional aspect, it would be fine for me if I had to analyse by pointing at the speakers.

Any recommendations? Does anyone simply use a studio vocal mic or some directional mic for an analyser?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind ......Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Every reference mic I've seen for RTAs or impulse measurements was an omni, not a uni (uni=directional). There are plenty of usable cheap ones, but there are also some medium price ones that work well for overheads or recording acoustic instruments. If you're on a tight budget I'd shoot for one of those.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    For measurement mics see:
    http://www.realtraps.com/art_microphones.htm
    They are Omni
    The behringer rates very good. It will work as a good omni mic for other uses, like as a overhead drum mic.

$50 then you have all kinds of money left over for vocal mics ... that's the hard choice.

4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Woah, Behringer? :shudder:

On the other hand, I could stand the analyser mic to go out and not suffer too much. In fact I'm curious whether today's Behringer stuff is indeed less trashy than what I have.

5. Sponsored by: