1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What kind of music do you play vs what kind of music do you like?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zachoff, Dec 21, 2012.

1. zachoff

zachoff

Always wonder how many of us are playing music we really love.

I'm playing in a punk rock band and have loved punk rock since I was a kid. I've also loved metal since then... More to the point stoner, thrash, and doom metal and my last band was in that vein. It's hard for me to play music I don't like.

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Supporting Member

I like everything except very angry metal and hard core rap. And I play everything except very angry metal and rap.

Seriously, a lot of musicians are very closed minded these days. But I can get down with Maroon 5, Rush, Motown, The Yellow Jackets, Brad Paisley, you name it. I play mostly fill-in gigs these days so it helps that I really don't mind most kinds of music.

3. Kenzy

Kenzy

Same deal on this end.

I play consistently in an original band, though. Each member brings their own influences to the table, and we all come from different musical backgrounds with differing tastes. I'm a prog junkie, my guitarist is a jazz man, our drummer digs hard rock, and our singer is a reggae dude. I like this because it all comes through in our songs and the the whole is certainly greater than the sum of its parts. :D

The only bad thing is we can't pigeonhole our sound with anything but a vague "Alternative" label... :p

4. zachoff

zachoff

Don't want to come across as someone who is close minded about music at all. I pretty much love anything that isn't dance music/electronica type stuff. Even love some hardcore rap! Haha. My folks were hippies & I grew up on CSNY, The Who, Skynyrd, and the Dead. My wife was a total new waver too so I've come to love bands like Bauhaus, Love & Rockets, and the Cure. I even love some country but still... My passions lie with punk rock and metal and it's hard for me to not play that kind of music.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

I dig a lot of alternative stuff like Arcade Fire, and singer songwriter stuff like Ryan Adams, My Morning Jacket, Josh Ritter, etc. on the other hand, that stuff isn't so much fun for me to play on bass. I enjoy playing anything with a good bass and drum groove like R and B, reggae, etc.

7. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I'm playing at home for now, so I can play whatever I want.:)

I like almost everything, except for rap, hip-hop, and modern country. Although there can be exceptions in each of those genres, I'm not big on them as a whole. I listen to and enjoy a lot of classical, jazz, blues, blues rock,progressive rock, old country/western and classic rock/heavy metal.

As a player, I favor blues, classic rock/metal, progressive rock, and some of the old country stuff. So I don't play every style that I listen to, but I'll learn from it.

As a writer, which I am getting into now, I definitely favor a progressive style of music, both on bass and guitar.

8. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

I play in a Doom band, but, other than original old Sabbath, don't listen to any Doom/Stoner music-
    I'm more into old school Punk/Hardcore/Oi! & Skinhead & Dancehall Reggae-
    I do like the music we play though, and LOVE to play through 2 huge rigs (Trace V6 & Acoustic 370 through 2
    Ampeg fridges) at the same time!

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I like all kinds of stuff. I was raised ( in the 70s/80s) on hard rock, classic rock and old metal ( Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, The Beatles, The Doors, etc.) My favorite band these days is AIC probably.

This is a setlist from 2 weeks ago.

SET 1
    BOMBTRACK
    CHAMPAGNE
    MY OWN WORST ENEMY
    SWEATER SONG
    GOT ME WRONG
    CRACKERMAN
    I COME FROM THE WATER
    POSSUM KINGDOM
    YOUR DISEASE

SET 2

KILLING IN THE NAME
    FACE TO THE FLOOR
    MAN IN THE BOX
    TOMORROW
    COME OUT AND PLAY
    WHAT I GOT
    SANTA MONICA
    FAITH
    LOVE ME DEAD
    BULLET IN THE HEAD

SET 3

SOUND OF MADNESS
    THE CLINCHER
    CARESS ME DOWN
    I GOT A GIRL
    SEX TYPE THING
    FLAGPOLE SITTA
    WOULD
    PURE MASSACRE
    CLICK CLICK BOOM

SET 4

BULLS ON PARADE
    PLUSH
    GONE AWAY
    HEAVEN BESIDE YOU
    BOUND FOR THE FLOOR
    HEY MAN NICE SHOT
    BREAK STUFF
    THE RED
    WHATEVER
    SOBER
    FREEDOM

10. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

the question is , why would I play something I :meh:don't like

11. Huge94

Huge94

I play grunge, alt rock but I'm a metalhead through and through. I'm open to all styles and challenges!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I play post-mathcore club sk8r doom acid funk rock but I'd rather be playing smooth jazz.

13. Kenzy

Kenzy

+1

heheh, I was reading it seriously and stopped right after "post-mathcore" to contemplate the implications for like an entire minute before I continued reading the post.... :D

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Believe it or not, the only difference between post-mathcore club sk8r doom acid funk rock and smooth jazz is a fuzz pedal on bass.

15. Blondy360

Blondy360

I play more heavy Alternative music. And some Christian. Trying to get into Jazz. But still love my hard core screamo!

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I listen to all kinds of music, so I can't really say I have a preference for playing a certain style over any other. The funny thing about that is that my band, likewise, doesn't only play in one particular genre or vein, either. That's fortunate for me because it means I can get all my musical ideas out, regardless of if they're jazzy, funky, punky, rocky, or anything else you can add a 'y' to :p

17. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I have played rockabilly, prog rock, metal, 70s rock...and now I'm doing something called trip-hop, which is a real adventure seeing as I've been in love with electronic pop music since...for about ten years, ever since I heard Frou Frou's Details.

18. Kenzy

Kenzy

Makes you wonder how a bassist plays the musical genre of "Christian". :p

19. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

I enjoy post-mathcore as much as the next guy, but let's get serious - it doesn't hold a candle to septic-sludge grindcore.

20. hgiles

hgiles

On saxophone, I perform a lot of combo jazz. On bass I am learning a lot of the more popular styles -- r&b, soul, country, rock, singer-songwriter stuff. I like most any kind of music as long as it's well done.

However, I don't get into music that's loud, scream-y, angry or boastful in sentiment.

21. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I love listening to folky bluegrass stuff, but watching the bassists...I think it would put me to sleep. Metal blows me away, I don't listen to it much but I'd love to be able to play it one day.