What kind of neck should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tourdeforce1, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Tourdeforce1

Tourdeforce1

So I've been considering getting this Fender elite p bass that has a snapped truss rod. My repair guy says the neck is toast but it's such a good deal I'm having a hard time saying no.

Do any of you have suggestions on what I should get neck wise. I was considering getting a moses graphite neck because I've never done the graphite thing and I think it's relatively unlikely I'll come by an elite neck kicking around. I know I could also buy a used neck from the eighties or just go new. What are your thoughts.

Bryan

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

A straight one. Seriously, go try a lot of basses and see what your hand likes for nut width, contour, tuner arrangement, etc. When I ordered the neck for my custom bass, I actually measured the "C" that my left hand makes with the thumb and forefinger at rest to get the right size and profile.

There are many necks out there. Take some time. Make a budget.

3. Immigrant

Immigrant

Depending on your level of desire to keep it original, I'd get a second opinion. Truss rods are replaceable, most of em anyway. That would be my first choice. Second would be a more "conventional" neck like a Warmoth or other aftermarket maker. Third would be Moses, because I'm poor.:bawl:

4. Tourdeforce1

Tourdeforce1

I'm used to playing an Alembic Epic right now which has a tiny little neck. I was assuming since it's a p bass my options would be limited as far as what can actually be installed. If you had the cash for a Moses where would it be on your list immigrant?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wilfred

wilfred

Mighty mite, or Allparts.

7. stanknuckle

stanknuckle

Keep the original neck and set aside funds to replace the truss rod. In the meantime, consider a Musikraft neck. I bought one and customised it with aged clay dots, 10" radius, Madagascan kingwood fretted board for a jazz bass build. After a very small amount of fret levelling, it's a wonderful neck.
    Anyway, keep the original neck and repair it down the track. You can ALSO spend next to nothing on a cheapy that'll see you through a few gigs so you can save faster for repairs to the neck.

8. chef wong

chef wong Banned

I'd just find a good, used MIM Precision or Jazz neck(with the standard number of frets). A U.S. neck would work but I don't feel there's enough difference between the two to justify the extra cost.

I don't have any experience with graphite..other than knowing how good it sounds.

9. Immigrant

Immigrant

I would still try to get the TR fixed first. I can't answer your question because I'm not that familiar with the Elite model, and it would also depend on how much personal attachment I had to the bass. Even a "new to me" project bass can attach itself to me, and I'm not very good at drawing lines to not cross. I recently gave up on a project bass after putting a couple hundred into it and saw it needed much more (new neck) but it wasn't a bass I could buy a ready made neck for.

If money wasn't an issue and I absolutely loved the bass, I guess I'd opt for the best neck I could get as long as I had handled one already. I've only played one bass with a graphite neck, but the stability of the Moses is intriguing.

10. SonOfDelorian

SonOfDelorian

I don't know how many people will agree with me but Status Graphite necks are lovely for me

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I have a Carvin SB-4000 neck on my P. I LOOOOVE it!

12. Immigrant

Immigrant

After a little reading here:

http://www.riverband.demon.nl/elite.html

I decided I would first try to fix the TR and keep it as original as possible and if that failed (it shouldn't) I'd get a genuine Fender neck. That's just me. You could always go the graphite direction and keep the original around.

Post a photo or two!

13. Tourdeforce1

Tourdeforce1

Thanks for all the input. The luthier I use seems to think fixing the truss rod is not the best idea. I will post pics after I acquire the bass and get a neck.

14. Immigrant

Immigrant

I'd still get a second opinion. A TR install and refret if needed should cost less than a new Moses neck, but do what your heart says.

I had a luthier (read 'repair guy') avoid a TR repair once. I showed the bass to more reputable repair shop and they sneered and asked who the first guy was so they could tell others to avoid taking instruments there. Of course I stayed quiet, because I've had several satisfactory repairs done there.

Good luck and post a pic when you get it.

15. Tourdeforce1

Tourdeforce1

Yeah I know I could get guys to do it. This is one of the more reputable guys in L.A. county. He just says it won't be as good as it once was so why bother.