What kind of strings do I have?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by baddarryl, Feb 5, 2013.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl

I know this sounds dumb, but I bought a Dean Performer CE used from a pawn shop and it has these really smooth, nickel I guess, strings with blue ends on them. I am assuming specifically for acoustic. No idea what they are. Any ideas? Thanks.
  2. baddarryl

baddarryl

Or better yet what is a good suggestion for these. I don't want that real bright bronze sound. This set makes it sound double bassish to a degree. Especially plugged in.
  3. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

D'Addario Chromes have blue silk at the ends.

Maybe these are what you have.
  4. baddarryl

baddarryl

Are they smooth to the touch and deadish sounding?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Yes they are flatwounds so they are very smooth and they tend to sound very thumpy and "dead".

I'm not sure about them on an acoustic bass, though....:confused:

But they are popular with electric bass players. I had a set and did not like them all that much.
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

D'addario Chromes. If you like flats, keep 'em.
  8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Yep. D'addario have the pretty blue silks. I would keep them. You may never need a new set. :D
  9. stevenkidman045

stevenkidman045

Strings are different types like Acoustic, Electric, Bass, Mandolin, Banjo. Strings are good if they are coated. And the uncoated string will quickly accumulate oils, dirt, sweat, and bits of skin that get trapped between the windings. The lack of coating also hastens the corrosion of the metal, and the feel of the dead string begins to hamper your playing performance. It totally depend upon us which string is best for make that particular type of sounds. Little bit practical on the shop and try already made strings and choose which is best.
  10. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Sounds like you have bass strings, good sir. I think Jason can confirm this for me.
  11. baddarryl

baddarryl

These are definitely coated and I really don't know if they sound dead or not. I have never experimented much with strings and and only tell if they sound dead on my electrics. I guess it doesn't really matter as I only use this bass for practice at home. Has a very cool acoustic thump type tone and if I got new strings wouldn't want the sound to change to much from what it is is the reason for my asking.

Anyone tried these? Thinking of ordering a set.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Elixir-Nanoweb-Light-Acoustic-Bass-Strings-101693026-i1122740.gc