1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What made YOU want to play bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by amusicalperson, Jan 15, 2014.

1. I got my first guitar when I was 3, didn't pick it up until I was 9. Played a couple of years but got frustrated with all the 'want to be' guitar players (I'm sure we all know a few! Lol) so I gave up playing guitar a while. The first moment I knew I wanted to play the bass was when I heard the opening bass line to "Sweet Child O' Mine" kinda lame? Yes. But go easy on me, I was young. I soon discovered the wonders of Paul McCartney and that gave me more of an interest, but it wasn't until I discovered John Paul Jones that I took my bass playing seriously, I started practicing for hours everyday until I could play every Led Zeppelin song. I still practice everyday (not just Zep tunes obviously! Lol) but Jonesy is definetly the reason I still pick up my bass everyday.

So what's your story?

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I was mediocre at playing guitar. And where I grew up, the guitarist to bassist ratio was about 20-1.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    I am old.... James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt and Paul Mccartney made me want to play.

5. Rosebud

Rosebud Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    my friends older brother playing rage against the machine covers and nailing that style of playing, in a high school gym shortly after rage's first album

6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Scotia NY
    I wanted to play it before I even knew what sound it was making on the records I was listening to. It was bigger than guitar, and had four big fat strings on it instead of six little ones. I just thought that was cool.

No, not lame, that's a classic bass melody every rock bassist should know. :bassist:

7. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Listening to Larry Norman, Thin Lizzy and Beach Boys. went WOW, felt that groove rhythm. Feel in love with how the music moved me.

8. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Like I've said many times before, Paul McCartney playing bass on Sgt. Pepper.

9. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I always appreciated the role of the bass in music. Plus, everyone in my high school was playing guitar. I wanted to complement their playing and be able to play together. I also wanted to be different and get proficient at an instrument that was overlooked.

It wasn't until two years after that I really got into the beauty and depth of the instrument.

10. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
  11. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    JPJ!! YES!!! My all time favorite as well.

12. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Appleton, WI
    Seeing Jaco and Weather Report on "Midnight Special." Also hearing Dave Hope's work with Kansas and finally hearing John Entwistle.

13. My age. Nobody wants to see a overweight balding old fart playing lead guitar. Guys our age are bass players. ;)

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Middle school band teacher asked me if I wanted to play bass in the jazz band. I got an electric bass and spent a few weeks during the summer working through my cello etude books.

The rest is history. ;)

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    "Bass solo, take one";)

16. Heard "Caught in a Mosh" for the first time when I was 12... The bass part made me want to play bass.

17. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I became a bass player because I could make a better contribution to a band as a bass player than I could as a guitarist. For the last 30 years, I've played bass because I don't have the dexterity to play guitar or keys well any longer.

18. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    I always say I became a bass player by accident, haha. I was a high school freshman and the band was doing a a rock/metal christmas number for their holiday concert. I was a guitarist at the time but all the positions for guitar were taken for that song in particular. Director said "Well, we need a bass player". So I happily joined on (I'd do just about anything to get on a stage in those days) and picked up the bass. Learned how to play with my fingers because that's how every bass player I knew of did it (Geezer, Geddy, Steve Harris, etc). Within a few weeks of practicing I was easily twice as good a bassist as I was a guitarist. I now own four basses and two electric guitars. So I became a bassist unintentionally, but I'm glad I did, haha.

19. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Being at a high school dance watching Painter (later Hammersmith). For some reason the basser quit playing & I heard all of the soul of the music leave the room. Also to get girls & I thought 4 strings easier than 6.

20. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Seeing the Beatles the first time they were on Ed Sullivan. I was hooked.

21. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Gene Simmons, and an early-developed and abiding fondness for low frequencies.