What makes a good Record Producer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by REV, Feb 28, 2014.

1. REV

REV Supporting Member

What qualities make a good record producer?
    Would you be a good producer and why?

2. JimK

JimK

I read Ken Scott's book, Abbey Road To Ziggy Stardust last year.
    Scott mentions a couple of styles-
    One guy is less of a total control freak...this guy pretty much gets a very organic sound from the band. IMO, guys like Ken Scott, George Martin, Arif Mardin, & Gary Katz fit this mold.

Another guy takes control...in that he becomes "the artist". IIRC, Scott mentions someone like David Foster. Sure he managed to get The Tubes a couple of hits...but they were no longer playing on their own recordings anymore. Another book talks about Foster becoming Chicago's producer...he meets the band, asks who sings tenor, then takes Cetera & tells the rest of the band I'll call you when you're needed. So Robert Lamm is not playing anymore?

...and still another guy records everything and cuts/pastes the bespectacled into one coherent performance. Scott mentions Richard Perry as this guy. Scott sez it was amazing because Perry could recall every take.

In an earlier life, I may have felt I coulda been a decent producer...I listen, I maybe thought I had a decent grasp on how instruments should sit in a mix, I am no control freak, etc.
    That was a long time ago.
    :)

If possible, check out Ken Scott's book for "good qualities".