1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What (not?) to wear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Neo1, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Neo1

Neo1

I've been playing for a year with various friends, and am close to playing out (very small venue stuff). When I play with friends, I wear my most comfortable clothing (and avoid anything that could scratch my bass). So, any advice for my first big night? I'm not looking for advice for a specific "look", but wondering if those with more experience put any thought into what (not?) to wear.
  2. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Wear anything you feel comfortable in that distinguishes you from the crowd. One of the first things I learned was you should be able to pick out the band members before they ever go on stage.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Whatever you're comfortable in.

I wear jeans and a button down shirt, but that's basically what I wear every day.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't wear shorts or a hat. Unless you are wearing a total outfit and the hat compliments other accessories in the outfit for the true rockstar look, avoid it, they look ridiculous on stage if you just casually wear a hat. Especially since most bass players pick the most ludicrous hats, like bowlers and fedoras. Coordinate with your band, at least with the guys in front of the kit.
  5. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Rule of thumb traditionally is one step more formal than the audience.
  6. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

It really depends on the venue, the overall style of the band, and what doesn't look ridiculous on you. Dress at least as well or a little bit snazzier than you audience, but be comfortable.
    I think hats are ok depending on how you look in one and the bands overall image. Just don't be stupid with it. For example, my next gig is a Sat night in very small restaurant/bar. We're a 4 piece alt country/Americana outfit and we're gonna have to struggle to scale it down to mostly acoustic and minimal percussion. Its gonna be cramped and probably hot. I'll probably wear a microfiber black Tshirt under a decent looking sport shirt that I can shed if need be, black jeans, and comfortable shoes. I normally sport some kinda headgear but I'll run a few alternatives by the boys before deciding.
  7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Usually something without sleeves. I paid a lot for all these tattoos