1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

What ohms setting to use?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mldavis, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mldavis

mldavis

Jul 22, 2013
    South Wales, UK
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    The cab's impedance will be set. You should match the amp to that.

3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Do you mean the head can be set to 4 or 8 ohms?
    The cab specifies an 8 ohm impedance. That would mean with that single 410 Rumble cab you'd switch your Orange head to 8 ohm.

4. A 4x10 cabinet will only have an efficiency/mechanical capacity of about 300-350 watts (even though they can handle more wattage, it will not use it efficiently if you push it past a certain point - which is the mechanical/efficiency capacity of the combined speaker configuration). If your amp can push 500 watts at 4 ohms, then it will push about 300 at 8 ohms. The 8 ohms will better utilize the cabs efficiency level without degrading the sound quality (which will happen if you try to push a full 500 thru it).

5. Sponsored by:

6. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Wrong. The TB500 supplies 500 watts at both 8 and 4 Ohms.

7. Ah! I didn't know that! Thanx for the info. Usually a 500 at 4 ohms is a 300 @ 8. Does any other amp does this besides Orange?

8. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    The TB1000 does as well. They are the only two that I know of though.

9. Thanx!

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I thought all tube amps put out the same wattage no matter what the tap is set at, MY SVT-CL and my Ashdown Little Bastard 30 both put out the same wattage regardless of the ohm tap. Or am I wrong and just thought they did?

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I don't think you'll find that the Terror is a full tube amp. The Carvin BX500 has a 4/2Ω switch too.

12. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Yes, I was referring to SS amps.

+1
    Some amps have switches for output impedance, regardless of the topology of the amp.

13. mldavis

mldavis

Jul 22, 2013
    South Wales, UK
    Thanks for the replies.

So all I need to do is ensure the amp is set at 8 ohms and I'll be good to go?

It's my first amp/cab so just want to make sure I don't blow it up or something! ;)