1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What on earth should we do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Salamenster, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

We're a quite young band with little stage experience...

Our guitarist got us a gig on december 29th and they're asking us how much we normally charge for a gig.

We have never been paid for a gig before. xD

Should we say a figure? If so what figure (we're with 4)? Say to come up with a good figure themselves? Or just say this is our first pay-gig and we have seriously no clue how much to charge(this might get tricky because our guitar player told'em we had 'stage experience' :eyebrow:)?

Suggestions are very very welcome! Thanks!

2. Hapa

Hapa

OMG... How much do you pay for a plummer/electrician to come out to your house for 4 hours in your country? charge that much... the venue will likely negotiate, its up to you after that. How many in the band?

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Depends on the gig. Are you playing three hours of cover tunes or one hour of originals, or what? For a cover band here in the US, I would say a good rule of thumb would be $100 per member of the band for a gig in the three-hour ballpark (playing 9:00 to midnight or maybe a bit later). So you might make that 80-100 euro per member. If they say that's too much, you can negotiate from there.

4. Salamenster

Salamenster

We'll have to fill four hour, probably with two sets of 1 1/2 hour, it's a mix of originals and covers.

Because we're young (17/18), I don't want to charge them too much.

With 80/100 euros/member we're 320-400 euros total. I personally feel that's a bit over the top (With current currency that's 400-510 USD).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

How old you are is irrelevant. How much entertainment you are providing to an audience is what matters. You have to expect people to respect the skill that playing music requires - if you don't, no one else will do it for you.

I would ask for the 320. If they balk at that, you can offer a discount. What kind of gig is it - a party, a bar, what?

7. kris pung

kris pung

If your good who cares if your young? I'm in a 6-piece and we try to book $100+ per member on 3 hour bar gigs.

8. Salamenster

Salamenster

It's an indoor ice skate track (not for sports, but just fun skating). We should play for people ice skating and people sitting in the bar chilling with a hot beverage. We've betted at €150,- total. It seems enough to us. We're happy with the gig on its own. However, I think a tip jar might not be a bad extra...

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

are you good = $100/hr

are you great =$2-300/hr

are you damn SEXY= ??? (sky's the limit)

10. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

man, wish I had this problem.

11. hrodbert696

Well, if you're any good, I think you're underselling yourself. Still, if it isn't a bar or club where people aren't going to dance and drink more, it might be hard to get proper payment. But at least it will be performing experience, and if it goes well you can ask for more next time. The fundamental issue is to make sure that the skating rink does more business because you are there - either because more people come to hear you specifically, or because people stay longer and spend more money, or just because it gets a reputation for great music.

+1!

I wish I was sexy...

Why, what problem do you have?

12. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

$100 per member is our minimum.

13. bassteban

bassteban

I'd want $100/member for 3 hrs- maybe more for 4. If you feel bad asking for *that much* consider loading in AND out- you won't be making a ton of money per hour. The experience is of course priceless but do it for free or dirt cheap enough and you won't want to anymore

14. Spino

Spino

WHAT ? .Tip jar my ass get paid properly ...How many people are going to be there ?...do they pay entrance? ...Do you have to bring a PA and equipment ? Pay gas ? how much time have you put into practicing and rehearsals ? Sounds from your name you're a german speaker ...The money 's there take it .!There are enough musicians that don't get paid what they should .Take the money and run .ha HA

15. livinitup0

livinitup0

In theory age shouldn't matter... That being said, your age, a lot of times, determines your experience... and experience drives your price. I have a figure in my head I won't play for less than but that's because I've honed my craft for 20 years and know what I'm worth. No offense, but OP can't realistically expect the kind of money I'd expect and only bring a fraction of the value I'm bringing as an entertainer...which cones from my experience. Sure he can ask... But you can't really fault a venue or client for expecting a good deal when they're hiring teenagers who've never played a paying gig.

He's already said their stage presence is lacking and it's their first paying gig... Coming into this pretending to be some seasoned vet of the music scene and expecting comparable money is more than a little presumptuous IMO.

OP, It really depends on the type of gig. If you can tell their budget for this is decent, then ask for decent money...you might get it... Just don't go into this thinking you "deserve" a certain amount like a lot of people here will suggest. Also... Have this talk with your band ASAP... Their opinions are more valuable than ours.

...and personally I think the tip jar is a great idea... Check with the venue 1st.