1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What order to learn The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Journey55, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Journey55

Journey55

Hello all,
    I got The Beatles Complete Scores book for Christmas so I figured I might as well learn them all (some people say Macca's the best bassist ever so maybe I can learn a thing or two lol). The only problem is that I don't know where to start....should I start chronologically, alphabetically, alphabetically by album, or some other pattern? Any suggestions would be appreciated
  2. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

Start with what you like best. I have that book as well. Great resource.
  3. Staredge

Staredge

Pick up the book. Open to a page. Find the beginning of the song. Learn. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. :bassist:
  4. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I'd start with the earliest stuff and work through chronologically. Remember that Paul wasn't a bassist to start out so I'd think it would be very cool to actually see how he progressed.
  5. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

I'd start with Eleanor Rigby, the baseline is remarkable easy.
  6. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

+1
  7. skwee

skwee

A couple of years ago my wife got me a Beatles fakebook. I just flip through randomly and play through tunes that come up. Good exercise!
  8. atomicdog

atomicdog

Start with a couple of early songs (Money, Do You Want Know a Secret or the like) and work your up through a mid-career tune or two and then on to Sgt. Peppers or Come Together of something from the last couple of albums.
  9. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I'm a looser is a great example of some of McCartney's early melodic playing.

Looser, Saw her Standing there, Something, oh Darling, Mean Mr Mustard medley, Rain, Drive my Car, to mention a few classics
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 It is fun to listen to how he developed from Kansas City /Hey Hey Hey to a Day In The Life.
  11. JimK

JimK

Great book for study & fun.
    I have had mine for years...have some/most/all the typos been corrected? Man, it's full of 'em.
  12. Basstreble

Basstreble

Like what everyone else said: start with some of the earlier songs. Paul wasn't as advanced as he was once he recorded Revolver. Also you can play just of the roots of the songs at first, and then add in all of the fills once you've gotten used to it. That is what Paul did when he recorded. He spent many hours overdubbing.
  13. ToBorNottoB

ToBorNottoB

anything you can learn from Paul would be a good music lesson.
  14. Journey55

Journey55

I was leaning towards this for that very reason, I just wanted to see what input you TBers could provide, thanks!