What order to learn The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Journey55, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

Hello all,
    I got The Beatles Complete Scores book for Christmas so I figured I might as well learn them all (some people say Macca's the best bassist ever so maybe I can learn a thing or two lol). The only problem is that I don't know where to start....should I start chronologically, alphabetically, alphabetically by album, or some other pattern? Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

Start with what you like best. I have that book as well. Great resource.

steamthief likes this.
  3. Staredge

Staredge

Pick up the book. Open to a page. Find the beginning of the song. Learn. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. :bassist:

4. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I'd start with the earliest stuff and work through chronologically. Remember that Paul wasn't a bassist to start out so I'd think it would be very cool to actually see how he progressed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

I'd start with Eleanor Rigby, the baseline is remarkable easy.

7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

+1

8. skwee

skwee

A couple of years ago my wife got me a Beatles fakebook. I just flip through randomly and play through tunes that come up. Good exercise!

9. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Start with a couple of early songs (Money, Do You Want Know a Secret or the like) and work your up through a mid-career tune or two and then on to Sgt. Peppers or Come Together of something from the last couple of albums.

10. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I'm a looser is a great example of some of McCartney's early melodic playing.

Looser, Saw her Standing there, Something, oh Darling, Mean Mr Mustard medley, Rain, Drive my Car, to mention a few classics

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 It is fun to listen to how he developed from Kansas City /Hey Hey Hey to a Day In The Life.

12. JimK

JimK

Great book for study & fun.
    I have had mine for years...have some/most/all the typos been corrected? Man, it's full of 'em.

13. Basstreble

Basstreble

Like what everyone else said: start with some of the earlier songs. Paul wasn't as advanced as he was once he recorded Revolver. Also you can play just of the roots of the songs at first, and then add in all of the fills once you've gotten used to it. That is what Paul did when he recorded. He spent many hours overdubbing.

14. ToBorNottoB

ToBorNottoB Banned

anything you can learn from Paul would be a good music lesson.

15. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

I was leaning towards this for that very reason, I just wanted to see what input you TBers could provide, thanks!

16. VSUBass

VSUBass

Disclosures:
    Closures are dumb, stupid & not very smart
    I don't have The Complete Scores yet I'm just starting with the Red Album (1962-1966) which I understand has some mistakes in it but I figure that figuring out the mistakes will be good for my Buddha-Awful ear! :D But just looking at the truncated song list it's fascinating to see/hear the evolution of PM. The 1st ones could be classified as "Root-5th's with a Few Runs" and a couple of "Quasi Walking Bass with a Few Runs". Then the growing appearance of what I saw somewhere called something like "The Pop-Rock Bass Rhythm" which is "dotted Quarter, Eighth" then variations but usually ending the measure with an Eighth note IIRC. Once I became aware of it I started seeing it everywhere. Then the appearance of quintessentially Paul licks as in "Drive My Car" & "Day Tripper." And earlier (I think) on "And I Love Her" he uses what could be called a partial chords, i.e. 2-note sections.

As Chris Berman used to say: This just in: Paul McCartney is a pretty darn good bass player! :bassist::hyper:

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Start with Paul, then George, then John, and save Ringo for last. He's the hardest one to learn.

18. Ralph Notoro

Ralph Notoro Banned

Top to bottom, then bottom to top.

You won't get all of it note for note. In fact, when you go back and review they'll be surprises for many years to come. Mac is a genius without an ounce of flash.

19. dalkowski

dalkowski

I need that book.

If it were me, I'd start with my favorite song, that being "PLease Please Me."

20. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    just learn the ringo stuff, forget the rest