1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What order what you put them in?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mosfed, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

Apologies for the umpteenth "which order should I put my pedal board in" thread but I really need your sage advice as I don't think I am getting the most out of my pedals and I think that order probably has quite a bit to do with it.

Some background on the setup - various passive basses (mainly Fenders including 75 p-bass, a 72 jazz, a cabronita etc) to a 1972 Ampeg Svt.

The current band I am playing with necessitates an envelope filter (either a mutron or a moog), a fuzz/boost pedal (either a Keeley Fuzz Head or an Analogman peppermint fuzz), a phaser (a MXR reissue phase 90) and an Analog delay (EHX memory boy and I will probably buy the small moogerfrooger delay when it comes out).

What order would you put them in? And why?

– Envelope filter
    - delay
    - fuzz
    - phase

This past weekend I did - Delay-fuzz-phase-filter and wasn't terribly pleased. Thanks so much in advance!

2. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

fuzz > filter > phaser > delay would be my first guess.

I'd also try the phaser in front of the fuzz and I'd experiment where the filter is better before/after fuzz as well as the phaser.

Experiment, but I'd say the delay should probably always be last.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would go filter first because it reacts better to a strong signal IMO, fuzz second, then phase then delay. But this is all open to experimentation of course.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

My thoughts:

Putting fuzz before filter can often give the filter a nice "bite", so that's worth trying.

My completely unscientific guess is that putting fuzz after phaser might make the phasing inaudible, but I don't use phaser so I don't know.

Delay is often used last, the idea being that you want exact repeats of the sounds you've already played, rather than adding effects to the repeats as you do the main signal (I hope that makes sense).

So I would second bigmoosepi's original suggestion: fuzz > filter > phaser > delay

BUT! Some experimentation is worth doing here. For example:

I once used a flanger before an envelope filter, and the sweep of the flange actually affected the filter, which was cool.

Another example: once I put a delay before an envelope filter. As the repeats decayed, they hit the filter with less and less signal each time, which made the filter react less and less to each repeat. Which was a neat effect.

So that's just two examples of getting interesting results by "breaking the rules".

7. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

I've always liked fuzz before filter. There's a lot of different opinions and combinations that work differently. Check out using the filter first into fuzz into phaser into delay then switch the fuzz and the filter and see which you like better.

8. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

How on earth do you guys who run filters before fuzz get it to sound like something other than poop? I've heard people do it and it sounds fine but everytime I try it it just sounds like total crap.

To answer the OP, I would got Fuzz>Filter>Phaser>Delay.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The phase has to be in front of the fuzz for me. I like my waah type effects in the front of the chain. So depending on how you want to run the filter/fuzz or fuzz/filter:

Filter>Phase>Fuzz>Delay
    -or-
    Phase>Fuzz>Filter>Delay

10. WaldoNova

I'm with you CG. Fuzz into filter sounds great, after, not so much. I've always went with this generic order pitch(anything that needs to track), dirt/fuzz, filter, modulation into delay/reverb. Compression always depends on usage. With my EHX Enigma I used compression to tame spikes but with my Manta I'm finding that I don't need compression at all. Some people say that using compression first helps their analog octave track better. With pedals it's truly a ymmv situation. It really depends on what you want and how it sounds to you.

11. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

thanks so much to all.

Some definite conclusions seem to be - make sure your delay is at the end of the chain, phase->fuzz, filter towards the beginning, fuzz->Filter, etc.

I will play around with some of the options, but will likely start with filter->phase->fuzz->delay and check out fuzz->filter->phase->delay soon after.

I really appreciate the help.

12. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

Sorry to complicate things -

If I were to add an octave pedal to the chain - where would you add it in?

From what Waldo said - it would sound like it should go first. So Octave->Filter->phase->fuzz->delay or to Waldo's rules - Octave->Fuzz->Filter->Phase->Delay

Does that make sense?

13. WaldoNova

Definately 1st. It needs a clear signal for the effect to track it properly.

It absolutely makes sense but I want to clarify the "rules". There really are no hard fast rules. Everything depends on your gear, playing style and what your going for. Some pedals react differently to each other. that's why everyone has their own opinions and such. When I am using an octave, fuzz and filter I am going for a synthy type sound which may or may not be what you are going for. Spend a few hours finding what you like. Take your board to practice and take notes. With pedals there are going to be things that sound great in your bedroom that don't necessarrily work in a band situation. Make adjustments as your situation dictates. It may sound tedious but it is a blast especially when you get it just right and everyone in the practice room let's you know it sounds great.

14. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

thanks mate.

I don't see it as tedious at all. More that I was looking for a good place to start. This is the first band where I have needed multiple effects while playing bass. In my last band, it was a simple Mutron and phase pedal and that was easy enough.

I am going to start with your suggestions and figure it out from there.

thanks again - i think I am going to start with Octave->Fuzz->Filter->Phase->Delay

I really appreciate the help

15. WaldoNova

No problem! I've gotten lots of help here on TB. I just want to positively contribute and pay it forward. I'm glad to help. Have a blast!!!

16. WaldoNova

What order have you decided to go with?

17. PENLIYL

PENLIYL Supporting Member

I have some of the same pedals and wrestle with this all the time. Here is what I came up with after experimenting and reading about pedal order.

Tuner(obviously) --> Filter(Wonderlove) --> Fuzz(TFL) --> Phaser(Faye Sing) --> Comp(MXR) --> Delay(EQD) --> Pre/EQ(B7k) --> Amp

I may pick up a Octave/Synth pedal, the TWA GD2, and would put that after the Phaser possibly.

Hope this helps. Check out this link for pedal info besides the stickies on this board.

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/chain.shtml

http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

Attached Files:

18. Swift713

Swift713

What is the Dewey Decimal System Alex?