1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What pickup for overdriven sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by photocyborg, Jan 29, 2014.

1. photocyborg

photocyborg

Don't know where to ask this..

I don't play bass but I need to buy a bass for my own recordings. What kind is good for a thick OD sound that can sort of do rhythm guitar's job? Kinda like ZZ Top does I think?

Under $500 for sure. I see a Squier P Bass and an Epiphone Thunderbird getting great reviews. The TB has Gibson humbuckers. Is that what I need?

Couldn't find any such info anywhere! Maybe this is a stupid thing to ask.
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Are you asking about a pickup that is actually overdriven or a pickup that pairs well with overdriven tones? As in an aggressive pup that would pair well with say an OD pedal or an overdriven amp.....
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

1) Get an SX P-bass from Rondo Music.
    2) Get a Catalinbread SFT pedal.
    3) Rock it.
  4. photocyborg

photocyborg

I'm simply going to use Amplitube to OD the tone and record in Logic. I'm asking what kind of pickups work better with OD tones. I want it to sound HUGE, sound that can fill the space of a OD rhythm guitar playing fat power chords. What I understand is this is a humbucker's job but is there a particular type out there I don't know about?

I totally don't want the slap sound.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

A humbucker will help you get there. IMO anything active or an aggressive passive pup will do the job well. Maybe SD quarter pounders. I plan on putting their sbpj3 (I think that's the model name) in my p/j affinity eventually. From what I understand they're pretty aggressive and hot. I would think anything along those lines would help you get to where you want to be.
  6. MR PC

MR PC

Get a short scale model. Sqiuer Mustang/Musicmaster, Epiphone, Dean EVX, ect. All easily under $500. Short scale basses work real well for the situation you describe.
  7. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

gibson/epiphone thunderbird or explorer are great for overdriven sounds. those ceramic humbuckers are very aggressive. i have to plug my passive explorer into the -15bd just to settle it down a bit.
  8. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

The first thing I thought of when I saw your post is Musicman. A used sterling or sub would be within your budget
  9. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I use a QP (SBP-3) in my P-bass. $65 on Amazon, drop-in replacement, and it sounds HUGE.

So go get a Squier (the Vintage Modified P?) and a QP. You'll be out maybe $375.

If you want to use a pedal for your OD, I recommend a $35 Joyo Ultimate Drive. It's a Fulltone OCD clone, and it does a splendid job of keeping your bottom intact. Your bass, that is, not your butt.
  10. photocyborg

photocyborg

Yes I think its the Vintage Modified-P I was looking at. I will check out that QP thanks!
  11. photocyborg

photocyborg

Ah nice, good to know thanks!
  12. photocyborg

photocyborg

Thanks, I wanted to look for a used Fender Mustang. Do the strings feel floppy on a short scale bass? I have no idea!
  13. photocyborg

photocyborg

Thanks, I'll check that out.
  14. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    I love an overdriven P bass tone. i put a dimarzio model P in a few of my P basses for some light grit. turn my amp up loud for some more grit. play HARD for even more grit.

but of course if you really wanna sound like "rhythm guitar on bass" look no further than one of Lemmy's signature Rickenbackers. i think they fall just under $500... :bag:
  15. markanini

markanini

Greg Lake used a Jazz bass with King Crimson(listen to 21st Century Schizoid Man):
    [​IMG]
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, your best bet is really a bass with a normal, good sound like a regular P or J with regular vintage-style pickups, then adding whatever overdrive in the signal chain.

distorted mush is easy, the hard part is overdrive that still has clarity and bottom, and to me that means starting with classic, cleaner pickups.
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I don't have any experience with OD boxes (although a Fairfield Barbershop pedal is on my wish list) but IMO adding a DiMarzio Model-P to a lower priced P-Bass would be my recommendation. If you want to go the lower priced Jazz Bass route, add a set of DiMarzio Model-J pickups, and you're all set.