1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What pickups did Victor Wooten use at Bass Day 1998?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basslight, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Basslight

Basslight

If you know, please tell me.
  2. dmusic148

dmusic148

Almost certainly EMG; AFAIK that's what he always uses.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

There's an Ask Anthony Wellington section on this forum. He is very close to Vic. I know they were EMGs but not which ones. Anthony could probably clear it up in a second. Both stellar individuals. Both would probably trip over themselves to answer your question.
  4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

EMG PJ set on the Yin-Yang bass.

EMG JJ set on the tenor bass.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Oh so there's only one kind of EMG PJ set? Seriously, I don't know so I'm asking.
  6. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

There are two PJ sets. There are the original set and the newer X series. Back in 98 it would have been the original set in Vic's Monarch.

Check out Bestbassgear.com. They have a Vic combo for sale there. It is a classic P, X Series J and Pope pre (which is what he uses on his YYD). From there all you need to sound just like Vic is his fingers! :)
  7. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

I was using the actual names EMG uses for the sets. I messed up on the jazz-style set that Vic has on his tenor bass on teh Bass Day 98 program though.. it's just "J set" not "JJ set"

PJ Set on his Yin-Yang bass.

J Set on the tenor bass.

Ta da!

Probably a Mike Pope / Fodera preamp and you're there for the Bass Day 98 electronics.. though of course.. those electronics were on a Fodera. ;)

JoelFT is right, if you want Vic's more recent setup, bestbassgear is your place to go.