What pickups do i get???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Musicman041, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Musicman041

Musicman041

So I have a Fender Mexican J bass and I am looking to upgrade the pups. I am looking for passive pups because unless i make a hole somewhere in my bass there is no room for a battery. Also I do play out and already have an active bass so i guess im looking to expand my arsenal with my hopefully soon to be upgraded passive fender. Most pup sets i find aren't the same size. My bass has the two 3.6 inch length, all the pup sets i always find have a 3.75 and 3.6 size. Does a passive pup set even exist in the same size or do i have to buy two seperate ones??
  2. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

Lindy Fralins
  3. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Your best bet would be to contact BestBassGear and just ask them. (That's what I would do, anyway.)
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That does make it a little tough, but most companies that sell JJ sets will sell you two of the same size pickup as well. If they don't offer them separately on their websites already, no harm in emailing and asking them if they can help a brother out.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I've bought a single Seymour Duncan J pickup on a couple occasions (to use in a PJ bass) .

I assume other makers would allow you 2 separate J pickups of the same size.
  7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    nordstrand could make a custom set for ya….
  8. maurilio

Disclosures:
    they would have to be made specifically as matching pair, using two necks pups would not humcan
  9. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

Dimarzio offers their pickups in matching sizes precisely for this problem. Also, I'm sure you could get Lindy Fralin to wind two neck pickups for hum-canceling. No harm in asking, at least.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd just use humbuckers instead of single coils myself ;) Not very wiring savvy but always thought it was the way they were wired together that makes them humcan.
  11. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

X2.

I should have said that the individual SD J pickups I bought were hum cancelling.

There are some good hum cancelling J pickups out there, and you avoid some problems if using 2 of the same pickup.
  12. gary m

gary m

Carvin sells matching J size pickups also.
  13. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

DiMarzio Area J's. Just get two of the short size. They are hum cancelling so you don't have to worry about trying to find a pair of short J pickups with one being reverse wound.
  14. maurilio

Disclosures:
    the "only" problem I see is that since the neck pups are wound differently than the bridge ones, they will be respectively unbalanced sound and output wise…. but than again, it is all in the pudding and not the receipt :D