1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What pickups should i put in my Gibson EB-0 Project

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basskababble, Nov 17, 2013.

1. basskababble

basskababble

I'm hoping to fill this bass in from the ground up for about $300 - $500 including hardware.

What pickups and possibly preamp should I drop in?

Its going to be a player but I'm not opposed to a semi original setup.

For the neck My dream would be one of the sudo Darkstar pickups custom jobs that I've seen around here. But I dont want to wait a year. Are there good alternatives?

For the bridge there are a few options:

Leave it as is
    Clean up that hack job and drop in:
    A musicman style humbucker
    A piece of wood
    Some kind of custom foam muting
    The original gibson style bridge pup

I also love active basses for gigs. If I can rig up a preamp would an Aguilar sound good?

For sound I need a strong clear scoop. I love vintage warm lows and clean glassy highs.

2. basskababble

basskababble

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Can't see your photos, but:

1. Curtis Novak makes several mudbucker replacement pickups. You might like his FatBucker (EB-AA). He also makes a replacement bridge mini-bucker. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

2. I'm a big fan of the John East BTB-01 two-band preamp. Compact installation, great sound.

4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have a Di Marzio Model 1 and Hipshot Supertone bridge on mine and love it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

The Dimarzio Model 1 at the neck coupled with a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz at the bridge is a pretty good impedance match, won't hum, and won't break the bank. Strictly a passive arrangement though.

I played a modified '66 EB0 with this setup in conjunction with a Bourne M/N taper blend knob and I thought it had a great sound using D'addario nickel rounds.

7. basskababble

basskababble

When you say strictly a passive setup? There are pickups that can't be used with a preamp?

8. basskababble

basskababble

Finally got to a computer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's pretty beat up. I also noticed that someone may have tried to add pots. I'll find out when it ships.

9. ctmullins

Oh my. Might as well go for a three- or four-band preamp then! And you might have room for something in an EMG35 size at the bridge - that's a pretty standard size; lots of pickup manufacturers can supply something with those dimensions. Nordstrand Big Split, for instance. :) :) :)

10. basskababble

basskababble

UPDATE:

I pulled the trigger on this:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f129/fs-noll-preamp-tcm-4xm-1030653/

A noll preamp. Now the pickup question is still in the air.

I'm zeroing in on the Model One. The Will Power sounds like it's more up my alley, but the string spacing seems like it could be an issue.

For the bridge position would a split P or will power bridge work?

11. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Here's something out of left field... Peavey T-40 pickups sound great and you won't have trouble with string spacing. You can also split the coils on them.
    [​IMG]

Also, you might want to look up Mike Watt's Eb0 for inspiration.

Moonshine :bassist:

12. ctmullins

Dang it, Moonshine, every time I see that thing I get weak in the knees..... :)

Out of curiosity, what's the blade length of the T-40 pickup?

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

14. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Thanks, I feel the same about your 8 string 'bird... Very Cool.

Blade length is 2.5" on the T 40s.

If you can afford it, I would go with the Hipshot (totally worth it). Also, I believe that the original Badass bridge was designed for Gibson basses; to install one on a fender, you had to route an 1/8" deep pocket in the body... & a lot of people did, myself included. Eventually Leo Quann started making the Badass II for Fender installs (I could be wrong about this...).

Moonshine :bassist:

15. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    What does Mike Watt have in his EB3? Maybe a Bart of some sort?

Moonshine is right about the Badass. I had one on both a EB2 and my Starfire.

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I think he actually has Lane Poor in a couple too.

17. basskababble

basskababble

I got the Hipshot Supertone 2 point but would've put the badass in if I'd known.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X0TPAC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike Watt! That's what I'm trying to go to...

Getting a lot of help, and it's much needed. The tuning pegs seem like they're going to be a mission. Any experience / advice there would be much appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the Dimarzio combo. Not sure what my bridge side of that will be but the Will Power Bridge seems like a frontrunner.

Still going to be keeping an eye out on the accessories classifieds for that special deal.

Meanwhile THIS happened:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-ft-1963-gibson-eb-0-a-1031755/

Why waiting on a complete and great vintage for about the same cost (possibly less) with no work is beyond me. I really hope this is worth it.

18. ctmullins

That should be easy, for a player and not a resto - Gotoh Res-O-Lite. The 640 if the screw holes line up, and the 528 if they don't. Again, not cheap, but again, you get what you pay for. :)

19. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Jumped on this one. For the price it was a no brainer IMO.

20. basskababble

basskababble

You got that right! I saw it come up and dropped my jaw at the price, then kicked myself. I have $490 in this thing already. I still need to sort out tuning machines, pickups, minor electronics, and my luther's fee. BRUTAL.

21. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Those Curtis Novak pups are really nice. They go great with EBO's