1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What products are for me Peavey? From a bassist's perspective.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mbelue, Nov 14, 2012.

1. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

In another thread I mused about Peavey's interests in bassists, so as not to clutter up that one I'll post my questions here.

Looking at Peavey's current product lines the bass amp products appear kinda anemic compared to the guitar amps. We all know guitar stuff sells better than bass but still the proportion seems heavily skewed. There seems to be little available to the middle-cost consumer. No "big-boy" combos, capable of powering external speakers. Just use and replace budget combos. Great bang for your buck, but no reason to buy one over separates. Not like the custom line of amps available for guitars, lust~worthy works of art.
    Same thing seems to go for their bass amp heads. They're all budget heads, lightweight maybe, but all rack-sized. Nothing gig-bag sized, which nearly everyone else sells, including Carvin.
    This is only further emphasized by a pitiful webpage that doesn't even show 8 ohm wattage for multiple models. The only bass amp that gets any love from Peavey's web page is the VB-3 and I can't even see what kinds of taps it has on its output transformer without downloading a manual.
    Bassists aren't all Luddites who can't read specs, some of us want some details.
    In a world that's growing more web-centric Peavey seems to want us all to go to a store to find anything out and then pay retail price.
    It all seems to fit in the "my first amp" category, nothing to attract attention from other brands. No tube preamp/solid state heads. I haven't tried any of them yet so in practice they may be more interesting.
    Just to look at them online I'm not sure why I would want to look at them.
    I want to preface all this with a love for Peavey, I just want them to love me(as a bassist) back.
    My first "real" amp was a Peavey BAM 210, spent a couple years gigging it hard and it never failed. Very reliable, just big and heavy.
  2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Using the TNT with the extension speaker out is the business. The TKO also has the extension out. Above that, we offer two high-end 600 watt Trace Elliot combos.

8/4/2 ohm...

I love you bro!:D
  3. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Looking again, tko and TNT do fit the bill but you'd never know they were even amps from Peaveys webpage.
    God this all sounds like a rant, and I swear it isn't.
    In the near future I'll be purchasing an amp to have in addition to my pre/ power amp so I'm not even looking at combos. From how I see things Peavey has too much selection for beginners which rarely know what they are looking for and little to offer existing customers who want more.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

now where is my mono, 1u, bass IPR 2000 DPS?

:bag:
  5. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd use anything with the wicked old school logo. My Peavey bass is great but it lacks the logo.