1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What say you about this setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klejst, Aug 1, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

Found a used Acoustic B450 combo amp (450w head with 210 speakers) for less than $150. I did some simple Google'ing research and found many who have used or own this amp are very happy with it overall saying it has great tone and gets loud. Of course I also came across the "this is just Guitar Center branded crap" posts, but I figure for that price how "bad" can it be. I know you cannot always go off reviews of others because one mans trash is anothers treasure, but I was looking for some opinions. The cool thing is when adding a extension cab to this combo it is known for then being able to put out 600w max?

That got me thinking I would get my feet wet with picking up this combo and then if I come across a cheap extension Acoustic cab (keeping it an all Acoustic to Acoustic rig of course) like either the B115 or hell even the B410 I could then get the max wattage and also have more speakers for more volume output. I also even saw a few used Acoustic 210 NEO speaker cabs, but not sure if these are the same speakers in those as in the B450? I mostly play rock, however something with versatility is never a bad thing. A rig that can pack a punch and also dish it out but sounds good of course. Also figured it would be easier to load in and out having it be a combo saving me 1-2 trips back to the truck.

So what do you think of that thinking?

(Other wise I have been eye'ing a diesel version road ready Mesa/Boogie 2x15 cab and I am sure I could find a amp to pair with it but it's obviously more money)

2. klejst

klejst

3. agreatheight

agreatheight

I played the newer line of Acoustic a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed, didn't like the tone much. But I am not budget minded and I will pay for tone.

4. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I have the Acoustic b200 head. It is decent and I would feel comfortable playing it live, but it does not compare to my Gallien Krueger RB700ii in terms of tone. I think you would be happy with the purchase for the price you paid.

As for an extension cab I would either get another 210 or the 115, not a 410. The 210 would match the best with the other 210, but a 115 isn't a bad match.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

I have a B200 115 combo (earlier version) for the practice space.
    Bought it used Works perfectly fine, sounds good enough, (and lots of eq adjustability, if I needed to) plenty loud. gigged it twice. plenty reliable.
    It is a very basic tool for my practice. Takes my bass sound, and amplifies it.

Now, I know your talkin bout a totally different combo with the 210..so ..YMMV.
    For the money, (as long as its not damaged, and still functions), should be good.
    That said, Personally, I dont think 210 is enough to gig with, so adding a 2nd 210 in the future would most likely be best.

again..YMMV

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    My experience with these is limited to a supplied gear GC rehearsal space one time.

That said, I was pretty underwhelmed with the 810. One-note-wonder boomy thing it was. Some of that might've how things were setup in the room, though I can usually tell pretty quick whether something is decent or not.

The amp though (600 watt head version) sounded better than expected, better than the price would lead you to believe, and actually not bad at all when run out to other speakers. It's built in sound is a decently thumpy "old-school" which I liked. Sounded "thick" and didn't lack for power and has enough eq you shouldn't have a problem finding other sounds in there.

So, go try it. I don't see how anybody who halfway knows what they're doing would have a problem getting a decent sound out of it. It does have a "voice" of its own but it's not limited to just that. No idea about reliability and the resale will obviously be low.

If you don't like it at first, try running the amp out to some other non-acoustic speakers. IMO, the speakers are nothing to write home about, but they may've done a little better in a different room or outside.

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    FWIW, we did a full 3-4 hour rehearsal....fighting the 810 and the bad room the whole time. Ran it out to some Egnater guitar cab and later a Marshall. Deep lows were lacking then, obviously, but then it had "tone" instead of just "making sound". Sound I was going for was typical lowmid thump Stax/Motown with clarity on top but in no way bright or grindy/growly...rather "smooth but fat".

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

For that price, go for it. Add a 2nd 2x10 though, not a 15 or 410. Matched cabs ftw.

10. klejst

klejst

So are the Acoustic 210 NEO's then essentially the same as the 210 speakers in the 450 cab then? I have not seen yet a strict Acoustic 210 cab.

11. electracoyote

electracoyote

+1 on good deal + add another cab.

My drummer can level me flat sonically if I only play through a 2X10.

12. klejst

klejst

I am considering it, however I am still interested in knowing about the Acoustic 210's. I have found some NEO versions of Acoustic 210's, but not sure if that will play nice or be considered as "mixing cabs?" A lot of people have mentioned that the 450 does work very well with the B115, but I know I know...