1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What should a set up job run?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I just called a music store and was told 75.00 dollars. Includes strings but it's got brand new strings on it.

Never paid for a set up job before so don't have any idea if that price is reality.
  2. WalterBush

WalterBush

It depends on your market, and what a setup entails at the store. At my store we charge about half that (more for acoustics since they generally require shaping and/or filing), but our setup doesn't include new strings or any fret work beyond cleaning and polishing, and some do. I've been told that it's not uncommon to pay upwards of $100 in Vegas, or $70 in Phoenix. Make sure you know what they're actually going to do before shelling out; the guitar tech should be able to tell you exactly what he's going to do to your axe.
  3. Robus

Robus

Nothing. Do it yourself.
  4. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Markets vary. But where I'm located in Ohio it's about 40-50 bucks plus strings.
  5. groooooove

groooooove

$50 + strings is "normal." if you have a serious pro doing it it'll always be more. a lot of shops don't like to do a setup without replacing the strings, 1. because old strings can affect intonation, and 2. they like to sell strings too.

learn how to do it yourself. a coworker of mine showed me his guitar after a setup (he paid $80!) and after i explained the routine of a basic setup (truss rod, string height, intonation, pickup height, ext) he was baffled- "thats it?"

yeah, thats it.

if you need a fret grind/polish, or a new nut, or whatever, then give in and bring it to a shop. but for a basic setup, do it yourself- that way it'll be exactly how you want.

edit- another great option is to have your teacher (most would be happy to) do a setup during your lesson time, and you can watch / learn how to do it. i do this for my students often, and i learned from my teacher years ago.
  6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Well I would and I took a look at some videos the problem is I have a lot of fret buzz and at the same time I don't see any reason for it. The neck is straight looking.

I am going to bring it in just to make sure I don't have a bad bass.
  7. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

^
  8. Robus

Robus

Didn't mean to come across as dismissive of your question. If you think there may be a problem with the instrument, or if it needs work that you can't or don't want to do (like frets), by all means have it looked at.

But the basics of setup are easy. There's no reason to pay someone else to do it. A lot of it comes down to just measuring. Once you learn to do it yourself, your instruments will always be set up the way you like it, summer, winter, humid or dry, lighter strings or heavier, just tweak as needed and you're ready to rock.
  9. Staccato

Staccato Supporting Member

The last setup was $50, and it may have gone up in price, since. That was from a well-known luthier and not a guitar store tech.
  10. RxFunk

RxFunk

For a bass, I pay about $65-75 depending on strings I get. So I would say that evaluation is about average.
  11. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

It's too bad more TBers don't supply the location they're in. Most guys here are nice enough that they'd be willing to help a noob out in person for free. That way, said noob would gain knowledge AND get it set up the way they like it AND be able to do it themselves forever.
  12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Took the bass in and set up is not the issue. The head stock nut is way too shallow. I could see that too but was not sure if that was the sole problem.

I left it with a guitar teacher and have to call it in monday and see what it will cost as the owner was not in. Brand new bass so I am going over to the warranty info to see if it's covered. I think it's a safe bet it will be because it's not an adjustment issue or wear and tear.

The guy said they shim them and can replace the whole nut and do the install.

It's an other wise pretty nice bass in feel and quality build so I don't want to send it back. God knows what I would get in it's place.
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Maybe a bass that works without spending additional money on it?
  14. agreatheight

agreatheight

Just about right, imo.
  15. dream_theater

dream_theater Supporting Member

We charge anywhere from 25-75 for a set up. We change the price based on what the guitar actually needs, and not just set prices.
  16. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Learn that setup...
  17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I called in to the shop and it seems the diagnoses of the guy who works there as a guitar teacher was off. The main guy says there is nothing wrong with there bass it just needs a set up. He says without strings I don't need it will be 50 bucks.

As far as basses go produced in the third world I am not of the expectation that you will get one with no set up issues.

Being I am in the market for a 5 string I will inquire on what it will cost for this shop to get me what I want. If they are reasonable I don't mind spending locally.
  18. elBandito

elBandito

As already mentioned, if you're not filing or grinding away anything, it's not too difficult to learn how to set up your bass. If you plan to play bass for a long time, it's worth it.
  19. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Well back in my day you just never got a bass that had any set up issues so I never had to learn. Tried my hand at setting intonation and just made things worse. Had a friend who could do it no problems. At least I can tune it perfectly :hyper:
  20. obimark

obimark

I find a good setup goes for a long time- possibly close to a year. (with an occasional 1/2 turn on the truss rod)