What should be my next bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CelebrityCircus, Dec 22, 2012.

1. CelebrityCircus

CelebrityCircus

So I've been playing for a little over a year now (started back in October 2010). I haven't had any lessons but when I hear a song, if I put my mind to it, I can look it up and just learn it by ear or from tabs. (Not trying to gloat about what I've learned, just trying to give an insight on how I learn)

The first bass I bought last year was an Ibanez SR300. I had figured it was a decent starter price for a decent instrument. I've played quite a bit since I bought it and now I have come to realize that I'd like to take this instrument a little more seriously. As I've developed better skills over the year I'm at the point where I'm getting quite picky about my tone. I've decided it's time to get my SECOND, more serious bass.

I've been searching around a tad bit and I think I've decided between 2 makes.

MusicMan or Fender?

I enjoy playing songs by Rush, Iron Maiden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Megadeth, Stevie Wonder, Metallica, Muse, Anthrax, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

I like a variety of genres, if I like the bass line I try to learn it. Which bass would be a good choice? If I get a Fender P or Jazz, do they slap well? Will RHCP songs sound good on a Fender? If I get a MusicMan, will Iron Maiden songs sound good?

If you wouldn't mind giving me suggestions or letting me know what you would pick, please lemme know! :help:

2. zachoff

zachoff

If you're already happy with your Ibanez, maybe step up to an ATK? It's reviewed in the current issue of Bass Player as being a jack of all trades sort of bass.
  3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

when it comes to fender, try them out first. in my experience, even in the same model they can be hit or miss sometimes.

when it comes to musicman, their "squire" brand gets some good reviews here on tb, but i'm not near as educated on that front.

what is your budget?
  4. CelebrityCircus

CelebrityCircus

Sorry, Im looking for around 700$.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CelebrityCircus

CelebrityCircus

Ill definitely give that a look! Thanks
  7. hampulator

hampulator

All I can say is I've played and owned both Fender and MusicMans(Jazz and P's,And Stingrays and Sterlings)... And I just sold 'em all,except my Usa P deluxe..Why?,cause I finally tried and bought a Warwick $$,ash body made in Germany. And you can get every tone outta this thing for real. Unlimited possibilities. But,there's a reason I kept the Usa P-deluxe,it kicks butt too. Outta the MM's I owned,The MusicMan Sterling sounded better to me than my Stingray,and there's more tone options with the 3 way switching.But it had the smaller neck like a Jazz bass and I like 'em fat like the Ray had. Anyways...like I said I've owned many over the last 35 years and the Warwick $$ is now my all time fave.But if you aren't into them,I'd settle for a fender american P-Deluxe,has alot of tone options.And I like the older ones(mines a '97) with the fat humbucker in the bridge...makes for better slapping. Good luck,hope this helped a bit?
  8. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i don't think any one bass will cover all the tones mentioned above in the original post, but i would just focus on getting a bass that is well put together, sounds good and feels good in your hands.

on mf, if you got to electric bass in the $500-750 range, 140 options pop up. i'd find a local store and play through an amp similar to the one you use at home. check for little things, like good construction, a comfortable neck and try to buy with your ears instead of your eyes. good luck!
  9. Catbuster

Catbuster

Around $700 for a Fender? Can I say Aerodyne Jazz? Fantastic jack of all trades bass. And yes, it kills RHCP songs. We did Under the Bridge last night where I used it and it killed. We also did the Trooper at rehearsal, and we played Killing in the Name at the show, and of course, it killed it.
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Maybe something with a Precision/Jazz configuration could suit you well and give you a variety of tone and sound you're looking for? I will admit, I have a few P/J's so I may be biased. Also, I haven't had the opportunity to try out every different brand and model out there, but here it goes anyway…

Perhaps you can get a chance to try out a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass?
    *It's a jazz neck and body with a P/J configuration, thus the tonal variety.
    *It's not the most expensive model they offer, normally $800, but there's a cross-the-board Fender/Squier sale through most retailers. Right now it's $700.
    *It's very light compared to other Fenders. The carved top and contours see to that.
    *(Some serious 'opinion-ation' here) It's absolutely smokin' hot in the looks department! It's a glossy black polyurethane finish, so it's a bit of a fingerprint magnet, but they polish off easily enough.
    *(Opinion mixed with straight facts) It's incredibly distinctive. I knew I'd scored something special when I took it to two different retailers for set-up and gear. Both times it stopped someone on staff in their tracks exclaiming, "Is that an Aerodyne?!". Much ogling and pawing did ensue.

And since I never turn down a chance to show off my first bass…

[​IMG]

But whatever you get, please post some pics and let us know how you came to your decision, 'kay?

P.S.: Don't forget! Strings make a helluva difference in the "sound/tone" department.
  11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Dude! Talk about "wavelengths"!! You got your post in just before mine. Maybe something to do with the proximity of our club numbers or some other "synchronicity" phenomena?
  12. CelebrityCircus

CelebrityCircus

My lord, that is a beautiful looking instrument :eek:

Ill definitely let you know what I get. I really want to see if I can try out an aerodyne somewhere now!
  13. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Either choice is fine. I would personally choose a Fender due to most Musicman basses being active. However, MM has the reflex and 25th anniversary bass which both have passive/active modes. Also Fender has some nice active basses as well.

Ultimately it comes down to tone. I suggest you play a few of each and see what you like best. Both companies are mainstays in the bass world, and have models worth every penny.

Side note - I only ever buy a bass because of GAS. I have only ever truly needed one bass to play (both alone and with other people). Anything else is because I can.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Both good basses to have, but I prefer Fenders.
  15. IronLung1986

IronLung1986