What should I add to my pedal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MakoMan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

My chain's pretty simple right now... an Ibanez LU20 tuner with direct bypass running into a DOD FX82 bass compressor and into one of my two amps. I really like them both so not looking to change the pedals I have, just add to them.
    I'm getting to the point where most of my other gear is pretty much set up, but I have constant GAS, so right now I feel I'd like to add maybe a couple more pedals... maybe a preamp and a bass equalizer? Is there an equalizer that also includes a preamp? I was thinking a Boss equalizer and maybe some sort of preamp but I'm really not a pedal expert.
    Anyway, not limited to just the above suggestions. Any and all suggestions for what pedals to add and what order to run them in would be most welcome. I'd love to hear about your chain, how it is set up, why you picked it and why it works. :bassist:
    And if you think I shouldn't add anything feel free to say so ;)
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If you're happy with the sound coming out of your amp, then it's time to add some toys. A dirt pedal, envelope filter, delay, etc.
  3. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

not sure what type of music you play, but I would recommend anything by Sansamp, I use a VT Bass and it MAKES my tone. Their character series pedals are so awesome, I have been toying with the idea of trying their Bass Driver... but I looooove my VT. makes every other pedal sound better aswell.

Also, with the BDDI and VT, they sort of act as an EQ, you need to set your amp EQ relatively flat (I keep my mids up on my amp) and set the sansamp eq to taste.
  4. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

A "preamp" can be any pedal that does things like boost/cut the signal or EQ it. Some do things like "warm it up" or a myriad of other modifications.

I always advocate having an EQ pedal on your pedal. The EQ on amps is okay, but they rarely match up to the discrete control of a 10-band EQ, or a good parametric. The MXR KFK-1 EQ is a Kerry King signature version of the M108 and has two outputs. You could put one of those at the end of your chain and power two amps.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. theobeech23

theobeech23

hartke attack vxl preamp is very good
  7. Rigarcia

Rigarcia

buy one of everything.
  8. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

This.
  9. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member