What should I do? Description pls..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LoricMusician, Jan 6, 2013.

1. LoricMusician

LoricMusician

I met a lead guitarist on facebook(Lets call him Jack) in July 2012.
    We had many common influences so we decided to start a band together. I had a drummer friend(Sam) and we found a rhythm guitarist/Vocalist(Chad)..

After jamming for around 4 months(2-3 times a month), we've just perfected 2 songs..

Sam as a person is good, cheerful fellow but never comes prepared to jams.. Chad is your best friend infront of you but on phone he's almost rude ! and they both don't take any initiative in meeting up but when we (me and Jack ) try to fix a time, they mostly give reasons..

So in december Jack said we'll not turn down Sam and Chad but still keep looking for musicians(drummer, vocals and rhythm guitar).. I agreed.

we found an amazing singer but couldn't find a drummer or a rhythm guitarist..

today, Jack, me and the new singer travelled 20 kms., wasted 500 Rs.(10$ ??) to meet a few crappy musicians..

then Jack calls me an hour back and says that we'll call Sam and Chad (they messaged us just once in 2 months !) and practice together again..

what should I do?:help:

P.S. - I've wondered before that if the fault is with me or Jack! But we almost perfected 5 songs in 2 hours with a couple good musicians.(too bad, they live far)

PPS- Sorry for my english.. its not my first language..

2. xgator4u

xgator4u

What was the question ?

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Given the information, I would recommend starting a band with Jack, Sam, and Chad.

4. LoricMusician

LoricMusician

what should i do? should i keep looking for other musicians, which will probably take months..

or should i say no to the new vocalist and call sam and chad back as jack said?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Get new musicians, the longer you drag on the two stragglers the harder it is going to be for you to fire them when you do find worthy replacements.

7. xgator4u

xgator4u

YUP keep looking . Don't "settle" , ever.

8. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Yep, 2 songs in four months equals lazy wannabes. You'd be better spending that time to find better musicians.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

No problem. Here we speak MUSIC. What you do depends on where you want to go with your music. Obviously, two songs over several months wasn't going anywhere, and you're not out anything if you leave that group behind. Whether you continue with "Jack" is up to you. What you have learned is that with proper musicians you can accomplish more in less time. Yes, it can take months (sometimes years!) to find just the combination.

When you stop to consider what percentage of the population plays any instrument at all, and of those how many have any talent, and of those how many have the drive and commitment to do the work it takes, you can see how rare good musicians are. Around here we think nothing of traveling 50 miles to a rehearsal (that's 80km) ... which means band members may live as much as 100 miles from each other! But we're older, have our own vehicles, and a little money for gas and such. Tougher when you're young and broke, live in a sparsely populated area, and don't know anyone in the local music scene, I know.

There's no reason you can't do both ... play with the current line up AND keep your eyes and ears open for new, better opportunities. You'll continue to play (good! even though you know it won't lead anywhere). Sam and Chad should be dealt with honestly ... they're welcome to jam with you and Jack, but if they won't step up and do the work required, make themselves more available, and establish regular communication with you and Jack their spot in the band is open to newcomers who will.

Bottom line, as others have said, is to try to play with others who are like minded about the music and the work and who are better musicians than you are. You'll have fun and it will bring your own skills to new levels.

10. tdub0199

tdub0199

Find new guys unless you want to ask this same question in 4 months.....

11. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

You need, at the very least, 30 songs even for a small gig. At the rate these guys are learning songs, it's going to take you 5 years to learn them! As others have said, jam with them if you want; there's no harm in that. But keep looking for better musicians, or even look to join an established band.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Do we even know what type of band the OP is trying to start? I have been in plenty of bands with less than 30 songs.

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You can always continue looking for new musicians while still playing with the old ones. That's probably what I would do.

+1.

An originals band does not need even close to 30 songs for a standard 45min - 1hr slot. My last band had 3.