1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

What should I do to make my sound brighter?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassPlayerPL, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BassPlayerPL

BassPlayerPL

Nov 3, 2012
    Hello,
    I'm Fender Bass owner(Pj setup).Body is made of swamp ash(as my luthier said),neck is rosewood.
    Today I realized I would like to make my bass sound a little bit brighter.
    I'm considering changing my SD pickups(SPB-3 and SJB-3),but I'm not sure which would be closest to my needs.
    Second idea is to add some onboard preamp.For sure it would be pretty nice if I could have more options of creating my sound.
    As I told, I like fat,agressive with lots of lows sound of my bass,but I want to change it a little bit.
    Any advices?

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Stainless Roundwound strings.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. kenbert

kenbert Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Lansing MI
    sansamp rbi or rpm preamp!

5. Matt B

Matt B

Mar 31, 2012
    New Zealand
    I have a swamp ash fender P with a rosewood neck too. With the volume and tone both up and a new set of round wound strings you should have plenty of brightness.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What kind of strings are you currently using?

7. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Disclosures:
    Bass player
  8. You can play over the bridge pup, too. That'll add a lil' of what your're lookin' for. I'd install Sadowsky electronics in it.

9. Yep:bassist:

10. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Uh....yup....

If a Jazz pup and rounds don't get ya there you will require electronic assistance and/or tweeters.

11. I'm gonna go with try new stainless roundwound strings first, too.

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I recently went through this on my '87 Ibanez. It has a basswood body, so it's warm sounding. I had been using D'Addario XLs, which I like, but I wanted something brighter.

I tried a couple of sets of stainless Rototsounds, which I used to use back in the 70s, and surprisingly they weren't very bright at all. And the low B string was pretty bad.

So I got a set of Ken Smith Rockers, which I used to use back in the 90s, and I like them a lot. They are nice and bright, and the taper core low B is very good.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis