1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What should I do to make my sound brighter?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassPlayerPL, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BassPlayerPL

BassPlayerPL

Hello,
    I'm Fender Bass owner(Pj setup).Body is made of swamp ash(as my luthier said),neck is rosewood.
    Today I realized I would like to make my bass sound a little bit brighter.
    I'm considering changing my SD pickups(SPB-3 and SJB-3),but I'm not sure which would be closest to my needs.
    Second idea is to add some onboard preamp.For sure it would be pretty nice if I could have more options of creating my sound.
    As I told, I like fat,agressive with lots of lows sound of my bass,but I want to change it a little bit.
    Any advices?
  2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Stainless Roundwound strings.
  3. kenbert

kenbert

sansamp rbi or rpm preamp!
  4. Matt B

Matt B

I have a swamp ash fender P with a rosewood neck too. With the volume and tone both up and a new set of round wound strings you should have plenty of brightness.
  5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What kind of strings are you currently using?
  6. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    RBI & Nickel.
  7. millsbass5

millsbass5

You can play over the bridge pup, too. That'll add a lil' of what your're lookin' for. I'd install Sadowsky electronics in it.
  8. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Yep:bassist:
  9. bjabass

bjabass

Uh....yup....

If a Jazz pup and rounds don't get ya there you will require electronic assistance and/or tweeters.
  10. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I'm gonna go with try new stainless roundwound strings first, too.
  11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I recently went through this on my '87 Ibanez. It has a basswood body, so it's warm sounding. I had been using D'Addario XLs, which I like, but I wanted something brighter.

I tried a couple of sets of stainless Rototsounds, which I used to use back in the 70s, and surprisingly they weren't very bright at all. And the low B string was pretty bad.

So I got a set of Ken Smith Rockers, which I used to use back in the 90s, and I like them a lot. They are nice and bright, and the taper core low B is very good.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye