1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

What should I do with my 2 Celestion BN12-300X?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Murphys Law, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

May 7, 2009
    Germany
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SPECTOR® - Stuart Spector Designs, LTD.
    Hey folks!

roughly 2 years ago I built myself a 2x12 cab, ported, with two Celestion BN12-300X8 speakers.
    I put some thought into the design and it came out pretty well.
    I implemented a compound design, flipping the second speaker around and mounting it at 45° pointing downwards to get more low range.

It's loud, reasonably light weight for the size and i'ts a freaking subwoofer.

Well, I play metal, mostly and not reggea so the muffled sound is getting on my nerves and the fact that the D.I. sounds completely different.

I want a more direct sounding, more clear sound.

So my plan is:
    Give the old box the boot, build a new one using as much of the old parts as I can.
    Or even better: 2 new boxes.

I like the FEARful design and its philosophy very much but since I already have the aforementioned speakers, I'd like to re-use them, since I'm kinda on a budget right now.

any ideas?
    FEARful related plans that could be adapted maybe?
    or sell the whole thing to a loving buyer and buy a new 212?

thanks!

Karl.

2. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

May 7, 2009
    Germany
    Disclosures:
    bump.
    Anyone?
    pretty please?
    :D

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the cabinet is giving the lows you desire then just add a small cabinet with a decent mid-range or two plus a crossover to bring out the mids and highs.

4. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

May 7, 2009
    Germany
    Disclosures:
    That would be a nice idea, although the cab by itself is much to muddy and boomy.
    Does adding another help with this matter?

Also, the cab is at 4Ohms. I do have a two-channel poweramp in my rig but well...

My idea as of now:
    make two cabs out of one, one tuned lower, as Sub, one higher, mabe even with an additional 8" or 6"?

5. Sponsored by:

6. Xhaxo

Xhaxo

Jan 6, 2013
    Tuscany, Italy
    Hi. It's been a while since you started this thread, so I hope you have a solution by now.
    If not, why not swap the front-facing BN12-300X for a BN12-300S? It goes up to 5 kHz rather than 4 kHz, so should sound brighter. It goes down to 50 Hz, but the other BN12-300X will pump it out at 40 Hz.
    Then you could sell me your spare BN12-300X, as I need one ;-)