1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What should I do with my 2 Celestion BN12-300X?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Murphys Law, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SPECTOR® - Stuart Spector Designs, LTD.
    Hey folks!

roughly 2 years ago I built myself a 2x12 cab, ported, with two Celestion BN12-300X8 speakers.
    I put some thought into the design and it came out pretty well.
    I implemented a compound design, flipping the second speaker around and mounting it at 45° pointing downwards to get more low range.

It's loud, reasonably light weight for the size and i'ts a freaking subwoofer.

Well, I play metal, mostly and not reggea so the muffled sound is getting on my nerves and the fact that the D.I. sounds completely different.

I want a more direct sounding, more clear sound.

So my plan is:
    Give the old box the boot, build a new one using as much of the old parts as I can.
    Or even better: 2 new boxes.

I like the FEARful design and its philosophy very much but since I already have the aforementioned speakers, I'd like to re-use them, since I'm kinda on a budget right now.

any ideas?
    FEARful related plans that could be adapted maybe?
    or sell the whole thing to a loving buyer and buy a new 212?

thanks!

Karl.
  2. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

Disclosures:
    bump.
    Anyone?
    pretty please?
    :D
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the cabinet is giving the lows you desire then just add a small cabinet with a decent mid-range or two plus a crossover to bring out the mids and highs.
  4. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

Disclosures:
    That would be a nice idea, although the cab by itself is much to muddy and boomy.
    Does adding another help with this matter?

Also, the cab is at 4Ohms. I do have a two-channel poweramp in my rig but well...

My idea as of now:
    make two cabs out of one, one tuned lower, as Sub, one higher, mabe even with an additional 8" or 6"?
  5. Xhaxo

Xhaxo

Hi. It's been a while since you started this thread, so I hope you have a solution by now.
    If not, why not swap the front-facing BN12-300X for a BN12-300S? It goes up to 5 kHz rather than 4 kHz, so should sound brighter. It goes down to 50 Hz, but the other BN12-300X will pump it out at 40 Hz.
    Then you could sell me your spare BN12-300X, as I need one ;-)