What should I get next?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EXILE03, Apr 4, 2014.

1. EXILE03

EXILE03

I think it's almost new bass time for me, but I'm not sure what I could get. I already have:
    -A long-scale Fender-type
    -An active bass
    -A short scale
    -A Hofner w/ flats
    -A 5-string

... So I seem to have all the bas(s)es (that I'll actually need) covered. I have no need for 6 or more strings and my amp/rig is fine. I'll most likely settle on a standard long-scale. I'd like to keep it sub-$500, but $900 would be my absolute limit if needed. Suggest away, I guess! :bassist:

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

A Double Bass and some lessons.

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

4. EXILE03

EXILE03

ALL HAIL MOTHMAN AND HIS GLORIOUS SINGLE BRIDGE PICKUP.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Have you considered buying an amp/cabinet/both?

7. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Howzabout a nice "P" bass? :bag:

8. EXILE03

EXILE03

My current amp will do basically anything I'll ever need it to, unless I somehow end up playing stadiums. Besides, there's nothing better I can find in my price range.

9. EXILE03

EXILE03

I'm actually considering the limited metallic gold Classic Vibe or a Fender Road Worn, but I can't decide if either would be different enough from my Jazz to be worth getting a new bass.

10. metalhead398

metalhead398

I would say:

-P Bass

-Double Bass

-8 string octave

-Fretless

-Something with a humbucker, maybe EBMM, to get you that funky tone

11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Fair enough. Well if you want something different, maybe a fretless could be fun.

12. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    get a Sterling SUB, 4 OR 5

13. EXILE03

EXILE03

P bass is definitely a possibility. Upright is probably too expensive, large, and delicate. An 8-string would be cool, but I have a feeling the novelty would wear off after a week. I've considered fretless, but I can't figure out how exactly I'd find a use for it. My 5-string is basically a 2EQ Stingray in a different package.

I appreciate the suggestions!

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Build a bass, perhaps?

I don't necessarily mean "from scratch", but something with a look and feel you dig that also has a little something extra. For example, I recently completed a parts-bass build that I'm very pleased with. Even though I already had two P/J's, the electronics and wiring was quite different (e.g.: V/B/T instead of V/V/T), setting it apart from it's predecessors. It also satisfied my urges to "tinker" and "shop/bargain-hunt" all at the same time.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/unveiling-~-part-two-projekt-blue-ii-1066539/

The cost was a bit higher than what you're talking about, partly due to the components I was looking for. But the costs were spread out over the course of a few months, so it didn't pinch as hard as it would if I'd paid for everything in one shot. If it's successful, you'll have something different, maybe even unique, that you can make you proudly say, "I built this!"

15. EXILE03

EXILE03

That's something I'll definitely consider. I can have exactly what I want, and I'll finally get around to learning how to solder. Yours looks absolutely killer by the way! I might have to "borrow" a few ideas from it if I go through with this... :ninja:

16. Malak the Mad

Many thanks! But I can't take credit for everything. Once I'd acquired the electronics and bridge, I wanted I handed it over to the tech at my local Guitar Center. He's been incredibly knowledgable, informative and downright patient with me as I've been embracing this field of interest.

What I will take all the credit for is the pickguard highlighting job I did. As simple as it is, it's the little touch I'm probably most proud of. :D

17. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    A fretless or a fanned fret bass.

18. EXILE03

EXILE03

Where did you find the Jaguar neck, and how much was it (or did you just take it off the bass itself)?

19. Malak the Mad

I was preparing to buy a used one with the intent of harvesting the neck and selling off the rest. Then I saw an eBay seller had parted-out the exact Jag I was looking for. His asking price was a bit high, so I made him an offer. At the same time, I pointed out that the sum of all his collective prices was greater than the cost of a brand-new bass. He accepted my offer, no problem. I think I paid about $100+shipping.

20. chris_b

chris_b

If I had everything covered, and the cash was burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldn't buy more "stuff", I'd spend my money on some lessons.

But to answer the question, I'd get a good 5 string bass.

21. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Seriously, you just need to play (them more)