What should I look for in a Loaded Control Plate?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Quatzu, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Quatzu

Quatzu

Fellas:

I'm working on a project bass and the differences I've found in loaded control plates is overwhelming. I've seen loaded ones on ebay and amazon for anywhere from ten bucks to fifty bucks, while I've seen unloaded plates for 25 bucks for just the plate! There's just too much to choose from and I'm sort of a newb.

I know I can get 250k pots for about 7 bucks each. I can get a plate for a few bucks. I can assemble it myself. But what's with the variety of choices out there? I'll spend what I have to to get quality parts, but is there anything I should avoid? I should probably get Fender parts wherever possible, but I'm sure Fender doesn't manufacture this stuff, as I've seen every knockoff possible for sale out there.

If anyone can help me focus my search, I'd very much appreciate it.
  2. Quatzu

Quatzu

If it helps, I should mention that I am awaiting delivery on a set of Dimarzio Model J's.
  3. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Check Guitarfetish.com and Dragonfire.com. They have loaded and unloaded plates. Plus they have good prices on J and P pickguards as well. I've bought from both of them. You can also get pots from them much cheaper than $7.
  4. johnson79

johnson79

I just bought Alpha pots and a jack for $1.75 each, plus $5 shipping on Amazon. Not bad.
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

alphas are far-east budget pots, i'd avoid; after all, you can get real-deal CTS for $5 each most places.

as simple as it is to wire yourself, i see little point in paying extra for pre-wired plates; after all, you still have to wire the plate into the bass, so what have you gained here?

you might want 500k pots for those darker humbucking model Js; you'd want 2 linear volumes and an audio tone for the best sweep and blending from all three.
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I bought one off fleabay out of sheer laziness. It works OK, but the quality of the plate itself seems dubious. It doesn't have a very good 'mirror effect' The reflection is very uneven. It's not a big deal, but if that matters to you, bear it in mind.
  7. Quatzu

Quatzu

Exactly the advice I was looking for. Thank you very much.