What should I pair with a Markbass 102P?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by the art guy, Feb 7, 2014.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Please offer any and all suggestions, thanks in advance.

I love my small rig: Markbass LM2, through the Traveler 2x10 cab. Lightweight and awesome. I need a second cab so that I can get the full 500W and move a little more air occasionally. It needs to be something else light and portable, like the gear I already have.

I know I could get another one of the same cabs, which are around 600 bucks new. But I wonder about other options. Would I be better off with a 1x15? Or can I use a 1x12? Why or why not? And part of my motivation is financial....is there something I can get cheaper than that, easier to find used maybe?

Edit: and yes, I posted a similar thread recently, but tried to word this one a little differently. I need suggestions OTHER THAN the obvious one (another 102P), since I want to spend a little less. Thanks.

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Mixing different speaker sizes is a crapshoot...........

Some combinations can sound good, others like ass. The problem is, you won't know until you try it.

That is why the standard answer has been to double up on what you already have.

3. mikeruss

mikeruss Supporting Member

I used a markbass NY151 under 102 and loved it with my LM2 head and eventually switching to a LM800 tube head. Great tone options with both heads and the 15 cab added nice low end when I needed it. Also very light and portable. I did try the traveler 151p for a bit and did not care for it compared to the NY series. Didn't have the tight low end I was looking for.

Really any 8ohm cab would work though but wouldn't be as interesting visually or as light potentially. It would most likely be cheaper though as new markbass cabs ain't cheap and they are very hard to find in the used market and nearly impossible to get at a reasonable cost.

4. the art guy

Thanks, guys - I appreciate the input. I really do want to find either the 102 or 151, but can't bring myself to shell out for a new one quite yet. Guess I'll keep looking...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

I have the 210 combo and added another 210 underneath - sounds completely different when both on (a lot more low end). Verrrrry Niiice!!!
    [​IMG]
    This will also be the easiest combo to transport for you.

7. the art guy

Thanks - that's good to hear! Exactly what I'm looking for. And yes, portable as hell.