1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What should my pedal chain be?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nate56, Dec 28, 2012.

1. nate56

nate56 Supporting Member

Im having a hard time what order to place my pedals...heres my list of what im mainly using.

Boss LS-2
    (My main reason of using the LS-2 is to prevent bass loss from my fuzz pedals..)

Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver

Fuzzrocious Demon King

Keeley Modified Vintage Big Box Rat

Boss Equalizer

Keeley Compressor

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Generally bass connected to pedals, pedals to other pedals, and then pedals to amp is the best place to start :)

It's been covered a fair bit, there's no set rule. Usually you'll want your compressor first, anything else is up to taste. With an ls2, you can throw anything you want in a loop and retain your bottom end

3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

give this a read!

http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=222

4. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

compressor after filter effects!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree with that theoretically... Makes total sense. And yet I myself put my compressor first. (Well, right after my tuner.) I don't compress that hard that it stops the filter sweeps. And I found that some of the wacky stuff my filters and other pedals did totally screwed with my compressor's input level. I found it easier to compress first. After all, what I'm trying to tame are the wild dynamics coming out of my bass, not my other pedals.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

what are you using the bass driver for?

if it's as the actual preamp, then it would need to be last, so its XLR out contained all the other effects.

how about the rest of them? do the compressor or the EQ stay on all the time?

8. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

depends on the pedals...my phaser has a volume spike and a compressor will tame that particular issue...and some wah pedals when you are heel down seem to have a volume drop...again a compressor would fix that...YMMV..lol

9. nate56

nate56 Supporting Member

Im using the driver as a means to boost my clean sound. And yes i have the eq on and compressor on all the time

10. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

if it were my board i would go...

Compressor
    Rat
    Demon King
    LS-2
    Equalizer
    Sansamp

the placement of the LS-2 here is subjective...just seems easy to me to place it towards the end YMMV

11. nate56

nate56 Supporting Member

ahhh okayyy. So it would be best not to loop my dirt pedals or...?

12. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

no loop to your hearts content...i simply meant it is instinctive for me to go right to left...

[​IMG]

my input goes in the right side starting with the phaser and comes out on the left ending with the delay

put the LS-2 wherever you want...if it were me it would be towards the end of my chain...all i was saying

13. Petros-J

Petros-J

what bass are you using nate?

14. nate56

nate56 Supporting Member

a gibson rd artist. And hmmm so then sansamp then ls-2. Blah >_<

I just tried the method with the sansamp last in the chain and it seems like my dirt pedals are getting the life sucked out of them.

15. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Depending on your SansAmp settings, it can really change the color of your dirt pedals, and make them sound, well, like dirt (but not in the good sense). I have the programmable version, and tend to use my clean/clear setting, and to a much lesser degree the SVT setting, when running distortion/fuzz. Anything harsherthan that from the SansAmp will do some weird stuff, especially if the EQ is more drastic.

I though the Demon King and Keely Rat were both voiced well for bass in the first place? Do you see low-end loss with them when running straight to the amp? Obviously the LS-2 enables some interesting blend options, but I wouldn'y think it would be needed to avoid gutting your lows.

Personally, I go EQ->comp->drive pedals->modulation->Sansamp, but I'm using my SA as a preamp, and I want the eq to affect the instrument tone going into everything else, rather than affecting the effected signal.

16. nate56

nate56 Supporting Member

Sounds good! and if i added a noise supressor where would that go. And thanks for all the help everyone!