1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What should the next Tech 21 character pedal be based on?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markanini, Dec 26, 2013.

1. markanini

markanini

VT Bass can't cover all bases, can it?

2. MrMeacham

MrMeacham

They need to tackle the two mythical pedal beasts. Fretless and Upright.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Welp, they have an Ampeg, a Fender, a Mesa, a Marshall, a Hiwatt, a Vox, and an Orange. Sunn is probably the only major tube amp they haven't already covered, unless you want to go real deep and get into stuff like Supro, Selmer, and Danelectro, and there's probably a very limited buying market for those.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo

I would say something based on old supro, valco, gibson, etc. type amps. Thats for 6 string though. Not sure how well it would sell but an Acoustic 360 style unit with the 18" speaker emulation and unique eq would be cool.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Maybe an Acoustic simulator? Or something that does GK, SWR, Trace Elliot or any other older manufacturer. They would be hard pressed to find anything else in the bass world that would be as universally appealing as Ampeg. Maybe if they can somehow pack the sound of a 360, 800RB, AH1000-12 and an SM400 all into that character knob it may work.

Oh no wait, duh! How about a Marshall Super Bass or Fender Bassman version. My money would go on the Bassman. Seems there are enough versions there to make it worth while.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    They've already got the Super Bass and Bassman covered. The Blonde will do most Fender tube amps, and the British pedal doesn't have much low end on it just like the Super Bass ;)

8. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

The other character pedals are quite usable on bass. You don't need to restrict yourself to just the VT.

As Jimmy said, they've pretty much hit all of the major amps that are widely used. Most other well-known bass amps generally tend to be the kind that strive to be as clean and uncolored as possible. There's not much point to modeling that. :p

Agreed on the Blonde being able to cop pretty much any Fender. As for the Super Bass, that's interesting, since I have the Bugera clone of the Super Lead, and it has a pretty impressive amount of low-end. Oh well, to each their own.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Been years and years since I played one, but I remember the Super Bass not having much low end just like most Marshalls. Could have been the cab, but I always thought it was in the amp itself, too. Anyway, I had my British pedal modded by www.putnamguitars.com to take care of that problem so I'm good ;)

10. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Agreed wholeheartedly. A Sunn 2000S/2xJBL D140 emulation would be about as cool as a penguin's basement. They could even delve into vintage solid state with an Acoustic 360/361 emulation ... and maybe even combine them in the same pedal (as long as I'm dreaming out loud). This would cover the absolute ground zero dawn of high powered bass amplification - not to mention that the sound of both of these circuits hold up very well to modern amplification offerings ... IMHO, of course!

11. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

That would be awesome.

12. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

I'm not sure if they have tried this but I would like to hear their attempt to emulate a Leslie. Many pedals out there but I've never found one I thought pulled it off.

13. Randy S

Randy S

Add a parametric mid to the VT Bass DI.

14. therhodeo

therhodeo

They have tried it. Its called the rotochoir.

15. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

16. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

This....and I bet it would be pretty popular.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    They already have a GK simulator. It's called any SS DI ;)

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

How about Trace Elliot ? Distinctive tone, quite popular with 80s revival.
    Probably not a huge market but as said, the main ones are covered already.

19. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I'd say just to keep tweaking the designs they have to make them better. Less compressed, Sweepable or dual mids, better buffered sound when blended to the dry side, move that damn pedal power input to a better spot, ......... a bunch of things could be done. I don't see the need for more amp emulations though. Maybe model actual speaker sims instead of generic high and low end rolloffs with a treble boost (even though that works ok) The product keep getting better all the time but, I've always said that they should listen to bassists more the first time and then release something that just knocks it out of the park the first time. It always sounds like a guitar player designed their pedals. They are kind of the microsoft of pedals. Put it out too soon and then keep selling the upgrades.

20. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

West. Make it sound like Mel.

21. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, a Sunn 200S and an Acoustic 370. ( I already have an Acoustic 360 pedal ;)):

[​IMG]