1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What significant things happened in your life in 2013?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

What significant things happened in your life in 2013?

I started my own insurance agency business and went through a lot of things to make that happen and hope it works out well.

My well established and known band of 12-1/2 years, with the same lineup, dissolved and I did not want it to happen. However, I very quickly got with some other good musician/singers and started a brand new band that should be ready to play out soon.
  2. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I turned 30! Also i got my first house. I have a much, much better relationship with my family. It was a good year. 2014 will only be better.
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Took my first REAL vacation... halfway around the world to scuba dive. I've always had the travel bug but now I'm itching to explore more cultures that are really different from my own.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

My father died this past September. By comparison, nothing else seems very significant.
  5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I retired from teaching and now I can really practice and take the gigs I want.
  6. bmc

bmc

2013 was the worst year of my life. Happy to see it come to an end.

2014 will be better.
  7. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Very sorry to hear that Alex :(
  8. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Thanks Chris.
  9. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Me too. My 20's went too fast. I have a feeling 40 is gonna pop up on me real quick.
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I turned 35.

No longer can i say i'm in my early 30's. 40 is closing fast and quite frankly? It scares the **** out of me.
  11. Schlyder

Schlyder

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Phalex.
  12. bolophonic

bolophonic

My wife and I purchased a 56-acre farm this year and began the arduous task of renovating and rebuilding it to its former glory. In August we had our second baby son, who is the most fantastic thing that has ever happened on the planet as far as I am concerned.

My condolences to everyone who lost someone this year. My father died on New Years day, 15 years ago. I try to tell everyone I everyone in my life how much they mean to me as often as possible, because you never know when it might be the last time.
  13. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

On November 7 I tripped over a step while rushing to get to a rehearsal I was late for and took a nasty fall.. I dislocated the pinky on my left hand and banged up my left shoulder pretty badly.. I didn't really notice the shoulder injury for the first month.. but since it has gotten worse.. Some days I can't even tune my bass .. the finger is still swollen and a little sore after nearly two months .. I hope this is not a permanent thing I will have to adjust to. I hear that what my age these kinds of things start to happen.. I will be going to the Dr. again tomorrow.. I couldn't play at all for about two weeks.. and it has not been the same since.
  14. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Phalex, my condolences man.

on the life side -

The Cons - Burglary (lost all my gear), Lost my lousy job.

The Pros - Got my old (preferred) job back late in the year, my father was successfully cured from Hep C, i learned to smile and deal with adversity.

on the music side-

The Cons- Started the year with no band, had to blow my savings to replace my stolen stuff.

The Pros - Ended up finishing the year in 2 bands, played some of the best shows i've had in my 20 years of gigging. And, by virtue of losing my stuff, i bought new gear that i never would've had before.

Overall, it was pretty crappy, but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.
  15. elgecko

elgecko

I didn't smoke a cigarette for the first year in twenty-five.
  16. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I woke up 364 mornings in a row.:)

Next year, I hope to sell less belongings. I'm almost out of stuff.
  17. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

After losing our first to an early term miscarriage, my wife and I kept trying and we'll be first time parents next April. Everything else that happened this year is pretty much secondary.
  18. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

I became cured of GAS. Finally acquired all the bass stuff I ever wanted. Slid into a deep depression. Sought professional help... the suggestion was resume the GAS. Which I did.

Everything okay now...:D
  19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I suffered grad school.
  20. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

I know that most of the stuff I post here in TBOT is semi-drunk rambling, but in fact there's more to me than that. Or at least I like to think so.

I've been working as a farm hand for a few years now, and this year I started working at an eco farm that provides job training for young people who for some reason have been left out of the job market. It could be for physical reasons, psyochological reasons, or drug issues. I've gone from having pretty much no responsabilities in life exept showing up for work and doing my job, to actually having an impact on other people that are viewed as "outsiders" and "losers" by society as a whole.

I teach them how to work with animals and machinery and how to be a part of a team, trying to prepare them for living in "the real world".

This job allows me to meet a lot of very interesting and creative people, helping them grow in to themselves and find a larger purpose in life. Like right now, I'm working with a girl in her early twenties who has been living like a boy for the past few years but recently came to the conclusion that she wants to be the girl she was born as. I feel extremly priveliged to be able to watch (and I guess help) her gaining confidence and growing in to her own skin, and I can see that day by day she becomes more and more comfortable with who she is, and I'm basically just awe-struck by her courage and determination in overcoming any obstacles that are in her way, and I am just gobsmacked that someone like me are actually able to make a difference!

My new job is awesome!