What size Ports?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by msbass50, Jan 23, 2014.

1. msbass50

msbass50

I'm new to talkbass and have a question on cabinet ports. I'm building a single 12 cab 14h x 17.5w x 15d.(inside dimensions). Basically close to the same size as Aguilar gs 112.How many and what dia. and length of the tube if any would work best? I'm thinking 2-3" ones?? I'm using a Eminence 12LFA speaker. By the way the cab is made of 3/4 plywood. Thanks for any info!
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You need to use cab design software to design the cab around the T/S parameters of the speaker you are using.
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Pair of 3" ports roughly 4" to 5" long should put you in the ballpark for that speaker. Can trim them back to 3" for fuller low end but I wouldn't go shorter than that.
  4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

^^^ THAT ^^^ ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Eminence gives a choice of tunings and box sizes in a .pdf for each driver.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    His cab just happens to be within 1/4 cu.ft. of what I made mine.

His driver will be "safe" with port lengths between 3" and 6". He can pretty much tune it by ear from there whether he wants "bigger but looser" lowend (the shorter pipes), or "tighter more controlled" lowend ( the longer pipes).

OP, you really should learn about Thiele/Small parameters, use box modeling programs, etc., to really know what's going on with your box porting there......but, staying within bounds of what I gave you will get you playing, sounding pretty good, and give you some leeway to taylor the bass response to your liking.