What small amp would sound like a Alembic F2-B?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SlickB, Apr 7, 2014.

1. SlickB

SlickB Gold Supporting Member

I've been selling off most my gear as part of a downsizing project. In the process I discovered my old 70's F2-B packed away in a box. I just had to plug it in a give it a go after 30 years- WOW, I really dig the sound of this thing- That said, are there any of the new small amps that have the F2-B vibe in a small package? I'd even consider a pedal style pre and pick up a small lightweight power amp.
    It functions perfectly. I thought maybe I'd just add a power amp, but I am a little concerned how reliable this old bugger can be after all these years. I miss my F1-X I just sold but this F2-B is really something.
    Thoughts????
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Pretty sure that is the Fender style pre in a box, lots of amps have that with tweaks. Hartke LH500/1000 has it, but not really small. The pre and a class D power amp would be fairly light, but big.
  3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Considering that the F1 and F2 pre's were fairly straightforward copies of the Fender Showman/Dual Showman preamp sections, perhaps you could look at some of the Fender tone stack inspired amps on the market today.

Mesa Walkabout comes to mind (300w @ 4ohms, weighs 18lbs). The Walkabout is a hybrid amp, so actually has 4 stage tube preamp driving mosfets - very tubey style small amp.

I have tried out a few of the new Fender Fender Rumble amps. These pretty well cop the Fender vibe using class D power sections.

OTOH, given how much you like the F2-X and given the range of very affordable and lightweight class D power amps these days, not sure why you wouldn't just keep the Alembic and mate it to a new power amp. Would probably qualify as pretty lightweight and awesome sounding too.

good luck and enjoy!
  4. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Nope.
    +1
  5. Noonan

Noonan Supporting Member

has the same tone stack.
  6. middy

middy

The Orange Bass Terror has a passive tone stack, probably voiced more like a Marshall than a Fender? It's only 10 pounds.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I used the Alembic F2-B in my rack rig for over 20 years. I briefly owned an F1-X (because of the additional bells and whistles, and I never ran the F2-B stereo) but for whatever reason (possibly the tubes?) I didn't think it sounded as good.

I have nothing useful to recommend, just showing more love for that amazing preamp.