What small amp would sound like a Alembic F2-B?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SlickB, Apr 7, 2014.

1. SlickB

SlickB Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I've been selling off most my gear as part of a downsizing project. In the process I discovered my old 70's F2-B packed away in a box. I just had to plug it in a give it a go after 30 years- WOW, I really dig the sound of this thing- That said, are there any of the new small amps that have the F2-B vibe in a small package? I'd even consider a pedal style pre and pick up a small lightweight power amp.
    It functions perfectly. I thought maybe I'd just add a power amp, but I am a little concerned how reliable this old bugger can be after all these years. I miss my F1-X I just sold but this F2-B is really something.
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Pretty sure that is the Fender style pre in a box, lots of amps have that with tweaks. Hartke LH500/1000 has it, but not really small. The pre and a class D power amp would be fairly light, but big.
  3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Considering that the F1 and F2 pre's were fairly straightforward copies of the Fender Showman/Dual Showman preamp sections, perhaps you could look at some of the Fender tone stack inspired amps on the market today.

Mesa Walkabout comes to mind (300w @ 4ohms, weighs 18lbs). The Walkabout is a hybrid amp, so actually has 4 stage tube preamp driving mosfets - very tubey style small amp.

I have tried out a few of the new Fender Fender Rumble amps. These pretty well cop the Fender vibe using class D power sections.

OTOH, given how much you like the F2-X and given the range of very affordable and lightweight class D power amps these days, not sure why you wouldn't just keep the Alembic and mate it to a new power amp. Would probably qualify as pretty lightweight and awesome sounding too.

good luck and enjoy!
  4. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Noonan

Oct 27, 2011
    has the same tone stack.
  7. middy

Mar 14, 2007
    The Orange Bass Terror has a passive tone stack, probably voiced more like a Marshall than a Fender? It's only 10 pounds.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I used the Alembic F2-B in my rack rig for over 20 years. I briefly owned an F1-X (because of the additional bells and whistles, and I never ran the F2-B stereo) but for whatever reason (possibly the tubes?) I didn't think it sounded as good.

I have nothing useful to recommend, just showing more love for that amazing preamp.