1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What strings and setup for "string bending" style?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Hi

I'd like to get into " string bending" on my 5 string active bass, bartolini mighty mites pickups.
    I might even experiment with high C setup.

In any case what are recommended strings for bending? I was thinking DR hi beams. ?

I'm concerned that lighter gauge might thin out too much my sound and worst of all introduce fret buzz, with floppy strings??

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject, how to set up and also what strings I might be looking at. I suppose good sustain is very important also.

Thanks!

2. jordak

jordak

nickel or stainless steel roundwounds on a round core are more flexible than hex-core strings or flatwounds. Hi-Beams are a good choice. What have you been stringing up with until now?

3. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Daddario rounds till now, medium gauge...

4. jordak

jordak

You can experiment with other brands, but your intonation will probably be out with the new strings. If you really want something that feels lighter, you should try a lighter gauge. Play the life out of the D'addarios first and then experiment with your next set. If you want to get an idea of what else is out there more quickly and inexpensively, try out your friends' basses that may have other strings on them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. backup

backup

dr sunbeams light gauge!

7. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Sunbeams are nickel plated right? I think theyight lack a but of punch? Also nickels I think wear out pretty fast if I'm not wrong.

Any suggestions as to set up??

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Almost all string sets are top and/or middle heavy, for an equal pitch response to bending you need a 'progressive' tension that falls consistently from low to high, for example gauges .100 .070 .050 .035 .025 which is medium bottom extra light top. I have spent the last few years experimenting with low tension sets with equal pitch bend response, balanced tension sets are an improvement but progressive is the answer. With equal tensions pitch response to bending reduces for higher strings. Use the tension charts to design a progressive set
    http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
    http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart.pdf

I suggest a low tension of roughly 30 to 40 pounds, perhaps as low as 25 pounds for a high C. Avoid deliberately rough textured steels like the old D'addario Prosteels as they will grind your frets.

9. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Light strings will not buzz any more or less with a good setup. But they will require a setup before they will play as good as your higher gauge strings. These is no way around the physics of string tension, wood stress, and truss rod tension. Less tension from the strings means more relief needed from the truss rod. Your action should not need to change, but the neck relief will.

Lighter strings do not mean thinner tones. But it will require you to change your pluck hand technique some as you will have more dynamic range with the same pull/thunk. Light strings have the tendency to allow so hard of playing that you can sound quite grindy with ease.

10. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Thanks xlr ramp thanks joelb good answers. I will experiment with the idea of progressive Tension response. I can't quite understand the daddario chart though! I get the formulae but where do I find my string gauges on the chart??

Also: where can I buy individual DR strings in Europe???

Thanks all!

11. ixlramp

ixlramp

12. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Thanks great link!!

One question: for string tapping, what is best setup and string gauge?

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Light Gauge... Round core is a plus...

.025 .035 .055 .075 .095 and call it a day... tapping, may want lighter .025 .035 050 .070 .090 even...

14. ixlramp

ixlramp

Personally i find a low and progressive tension is also perfect for tapping :) neck almost completely flat and strings very close to the fretboard. However this setup for tapping means you have to play gently when plucking or using a pick, so string height is a compromise. The advantage is the instrument becomes almost effortless to play and there's little risk of injury. i suggest (.135) .100 .070 .050 .035 (.025) as a good stating point, the tension falls from 36 to 26 pounds low to high, that's light bottom ultra light top.