What strings come on a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flux Jetson, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

So far I like the ones that came on the thing. I've tried a few others but I keep putting the ones that came on it back on.

DR Nickel Lo Riders - $22.75
    DR Sun Beams - $22.75
    Fender 7250M - $15.85
    Rotosound Rotobass 45s - $13.96

(above) These are all strings that were recommended to me here before. I'm willing to spend about $100 on strings, so far this list covers about $80 or so of it (after shipping is added). These are all bassstringsonline prices.

I'm into 70's rock bass sounds .... Geddy, Squire, Dave Hope (Kansas), modern punk (Mike Dirnt), that sortof "honky" sound.

I tried a set of Lo Rider steels ..... nice strings but far FAR too modern sounding, very scooped, had a definite resonant center frequency emphasis that was contradictive to the EQ curve I prefer (big fat spike at round 800 to 1100 hz or so).

Ok, that covers all of the info I can think of that might help (if someone has an alternative string to suggest other than whatever it is that comes on the Squier VMJ).

Thanx Yoos.

Fluxamatic

2. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I use EB Slinkies 45-105 on my VM Modified Squier and it works great. I did not like the stainless Ken Smith for this bass

3. soulman969

soulman969

Strings: FenderĀ® USA Super Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)

Made for them by D'Addario. Looks like once you put back on exactly what you took off. :meh:

4. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

Cooly! Thanks! I kinda thought so. Great because those have a rather nice pricepoint too! ($15.85 at bassstringsonline.com)

Uh ..... what? I get the "Made for them by D'Addario" part but the rest of that doesn't make much sense. Could you try again please?

In any case, thanks for the help!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

I actually have a set of those (6-stringers, but they have the right four needed for four strings). I'll have to try them out! Thanks!

7. soulman969

soulman969

Guess I misread your post Flux. I thought that list you posted were ones you'd tried already since you had them listed right after that. I guess what you were saying is that those were just recommendations some have made to you. My bad.

I'll give you one more though. GHS Pressure Wounds.

Those are the strings I play on my CV Jazz and they are without a doubt the best string I've ever used on a Jazz. They're about $5 more per set than the Fenders but they're an alloy string and they'll last twice as long or longer than those rounds.

8. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

You know what? You're right! The way I worded that is (was) funky .... fixed ... added the word "above" to put that list in the correct context. Thanks for pointing that out.

And thanks for additional recommendation! I'll add them to the list. :)

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Are the ones you are referring to with Red silk on them and all brass ball ends? I did not think they were actual fender strings but something imported along with the bass...

10. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

You talkin' to me?

11. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Yes the OP.

Maybe they have silver ball ends... I have to look again at the ones that came on mine...

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    I guess if you want something other than what came on it that is another story. I thought you were wanting to figure out exactly what came on it but I do not think they are actual "Fender" packaged and sold strings... But bulk strings put on at the factory. They did not match any Fender strings I have.

13. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

Well, what I want is a set of bass strings that are $30 for a box of ten sets, that last for six months per set, and that automatically make me play the hot-rod bass riff near the end of La Villa Strangiato. Oh, and that give me the energy and piss-n-vinegar I did when I was 20, and make me better looking, and not feel any more pain.

:)

Kidding aside, I don't have to have the exact same strings as what came on it, I'm just looking for a tone that I described in the opening post, which the "stock" strings have provided within a certain degree of acceptance .. so far.

I'm always open to trying new things so I have those other strings on my ~to buy~ list. My wife and I found those to be probable contenders based on the good descriptions on your website.

Let me know when that box of strings with my posted specs is ready, I got massive wad of $30 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. :)

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Cheapest sets I know of are "super bass"] that are $9.99 a set.... Close second is buying XL Nickels in twin packs.

Life of strings can vary by user...

Sometimes a string can last longer than others.

15. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

Hmm ... well I guess I could rephrase the question. Are the SITs reputed to have decent use life?

And I was only kidding about the cheap strings, I was just using the situation as a stepping stone to some lousy humor.

16. soulman969

soulman969

LOL, just buy the Pressure Wounds, trust me. They're less than $30 you'll thank me later and YOU can keep the change. :p

17. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

I'll add them to the list. Thanks. :)

18. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

They are (if I'm reading your post correctly) --- ONLY available from the OE Factory where they built it.

My '70 VM-Jazz and all my VMs BTW - also had/have those really nice MII strings that you cannot buy as replacements.

You might try to find a friend on the Oriental assemble line who will steal a set and send them to you --- otherwise you (and I and everyone else) is S.O.L on getting them ever again.

They are NOT D'A strings no matter how pretty the colored ball ends are.

19. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

That is really very interesting information!

So what's the closest thing going then?

Good to hear that I'm not the only one that likes them.

20. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

I'm not too sure where to go with getting something extremely close to the MII strings - they are super sweet, huh?

I've bought some 'quick-takeoffs' from p0ersons here on TB who just hadda get rid of them ASAP and I now have about 10-12 full sets of very-minty quality MII strings so far.

So I think I'm good for a while - maybe a couple of years yet, with all of them set away for future changes.

When they are gone - well, maybe some Elixir Nanos - which I also love a lot.

21. GoneFission

GoneFission

I wanted to chime in on this thread about the different years of the Squire Vintage 70. I just purchased a 2012 model and really liked it so much that i decided to buy a backup used on Ebay. The one i purchased was a 2008 model. The 2008 model is superior!! The neck is more substantial as is the binding. The headstock is larger and the body is also a tad larger. All in all a better feeling instrument to me. Just wanted to let anyone know this as the newer one are obviously not all being built to the same specs as the older ones. Don't get me wrong though the newer model still sounds really nice but is smaller in all regards to the older model.