What strings do I need??? Please help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by coldwar1977, Nov 4, 2012.

1. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Hi there!
    Lately I've bought me a Lakland P-bass. I love the way it plays and feels, and overall it's a much better instrument than my old Squier P.
    But!! I really hate the original strings on it (stainless steels): they're far too zingy and clanky for my taste. I always play with a plectrum and that enhances the zinginess even more. Far too much overtones. I don't like that, I want MORE of the root note, if you know what I mean.

I've always used D'Addario XL 55-105 roundwounds on my Squier, but I must say that I only start to like them when they're well played in and after their initial "brilliance" is gone. Let's say, after a few months or so.

Now here's my question: I'm looking for strings that sound like moderately worn roundwounds, but right out of the package. Does such a thing exist?? (Some people advised me to try out flatwounds, but I'm not too sure that would work out since I ONLY play with pick)

Would halfrounds be the answer??
    I really like the D'Addario brand, would they have the right string for me in their range of products?

Any help is appreciated!!

2. Jungy

Jungy

D'addario Chromes sound perfect for you.

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

You definitely needs flats or half round, but not more than halfs. Marcello Giuliani uses flats on his Lakland P, with plectrum sometimes and foam ... everytime !

Lakland Bob Glaub with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flat Wound Ref : JF 344 043-100

http://youtu.be/WybWirCFXfg (there it is a Fender P, but I saw him this year with his Bob Glaub)

4. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Don't be afraid of flats and a pick... up through the mid 1960s, that was pretty much the norm. (think Beatles, Stones, etc.)

D'addario Chromes sound like they'd suit you well... they still pack a decent punch like you'd get from a roundwound, but without tons of brightness and zingy overtones.

They usually run about $30.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Duckwater

Duckwater

Flats and a pick is an awesome sound. Try some Chromes.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

^^^This is all you need to know. Great sound, and I think it's just what you're looking for. Give the flats a couple of months to settle in, too.

8. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

alright, thanx everyone!! I'll give it a try when I'm changing strings.

9. spacebassed

spacebassed

you are describing a compression wound/half round. with them, you get the best of both worlds - solid fat fundamental and smoothness of flats with the brightness, punch, and cut of a roundwound without the harshness - they are the most versatile strings i've ever used. i use ken smith slick rounds but d'addario half rounds would be a good choice if you are looking for something in their line. i also use d'addario chromes and think they are a great string if you are looking for a traditional flat. either work well with a pick.

here are the demo videos for both:

half rounds

10. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Man, you must have some strong hands with gauges like that! You could always stay with those and let them age to your liking. Or you could try compression wounds. These sound like aged rounds to me. Examples of these are GHS Pressurewounds, Ken Smith Compressors, SIT Silencers, and Rotosound Solo Bass 55. Half or ground wounds are, like the name implies, strings that have been ground down. I tried to like them but they just didn't sound right to me and did not age well like flats do. Of course, ymmv. Good luck!

11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Fender flats 9050. They are steel, not chrome, so they growl when you want them to, like a settled in set of rounds. They last forever. They are consistent both across the fingerboard and up the neck. They do great with a pick.

12. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

GHS pressurewounds. They feel and sound more like rounds (rather than flats) but you won't be disturbed by the zing and clank anymore. IMHO.
    On the other hand conversion to flats will make a big difference in your sound. They also feel different.
    If I had two P basses I would put flats (TI's) on one of them and in your case GHS Pressurewounds on the other.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Yep. Seems to indeed ...

Just found a vid with Marcello and his Lalkand P w/thomastik infeld flats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1CUr7SXGaE

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I don't think you are saying you want the sound of flats. Yes, it is a great sound, but very different from what you are playing now.

I might suggest the DR Sunbeams - a very mellow roundwound string with a great sound right out of the box.

I have tried 2 different types of half-rounds or pressure rounds and really don't like them - sound or feel. Just my 2 cents.

15. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Wow guys, thanx everyone for so much help!! I really appreciate it.

@Bassamatic: you're right. I'm not after real flatwounds I think. I love their warm sound for classic rock and vintage styles, but they're just not right for the music style I'm playing (new wave/postpunk/punk). I need the sound and aggression of roundwounds, but without the harshness of a brandnew set.

From the suggestions I read here, I think I'll definitely need to try out some compression wounds/pressurewounds first. The description nails what I was trying to say!!

16. extreme

extreme

I'd recommend either the Labella 760QM or 760 QL quarter-wounds or if you can handle the lower tension try a set of Thomastik Jazz Rounds...they will be the sound you want straight up, but they are a very low-tension floppy feeling string.

17. soulman969

soulman969

Tough to go wrong with that style of string if what you're looking for is something to get away from the zing and harshness of certain rounds but want something that has more tonal variability than most flats.

I've been playing a set of GHS Pressure Wounds on my Jazz Bass for over a year and I can honestly they're the best sounding and playing string I've ever had on that style of bass.

18. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Don't let the name fool you, D'Addario Chromes are stainless steel too.