1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What strings for a sixer that compare to Fender 8250s?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TigerInATrance, Feb 11, 2014.

1. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I had a chance to sit down with a Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 (changed my mind about Fender, but that's another thread) last night and loved the feel and soundof the 8250s on it, but they don't make six string sets. Anything out there that are similar?

I've been using DA half rounds and Ken Smith Slick wounds forever after being into flats for a bit here and there, but these make me want to get some rounds for the first time ever...
  2. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I have been trying to find a 4 string set that compares to 8250s!!!! forget 6!!!!

you might want to try S.I.T strings....I just got a pack...I think if you call them they will give you 6...and it has a taper B E A.

Fodera is a roundcore nickel plated that sells them in 6....I think the B only is tapered

new GHS big core sound a lot like 8250s but dont have 6

Ken smith burners sound a lot like it...I think they might make 6 tapered B E nickel plated.

The SIT strings not only sound like they feel like em with the tapers...but they also supposed to have a piano like fullness to them that 8250s sound made. I am going to try them as soon as my 8250s die.
  3. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

I would guess Fender 7250 NPS and they offer a 6 string package.
  4. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Jason @ BSO said they are the same. 7250's offer 6 string set not tapered, 8250's 4 & 5 string with B & E tapered. Hope this helps.
  5. Dredmahawkus

8250s are round core 7250s are hex core totally different strings....besides being tapered....and besides d'addario making them now.
  6. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

What about DR Sunbeams then = NPS round core?
  7. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I actually went with the Fodera Nickels (NPS) round core strings after a good bit of reading. Put them on last night and they seem to be perfect. Tension was about on par with the Fender strings, but the outer wrap wire is a bit thinner making for a smoother feel. They also sound great, but I'll have to post up a more detailed review after I spend a bit more time with them...
  8. Levin

Levin

+1 for the Fodera nickels!
    The to-go nickels for me since I found them.
  9. Dredmahawkus

If you really want Fodera nickels to resemble the old 8250s,,,I talked to Jason at Fodera today and he said they will make them tapered or exposed core for you if you order 10 packs.....think I am going to save my money!