1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What strings for an 8 string Maestro

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wisper6419, Jan 27, 2014.

1. wisper6419

wisper6419 Gold Supporting Member

I know, I know. I'm an impulse buyer. I bought an 8 string Maestro bass on ebay for cheap. Just something to play with till I can afford a Conklin. Anyway when it arrived it was tuned E A D G A C A C. When I tried to tune the E down to B it was very floppy. So I'm guessing that I need to buy a set of strings so I can tune it to F# B E A D G C F. Now it's 34 inch from nut to bridge. And passive, So I'm wondering what strings to get. I bought this bass to learn how to tap and I don't plan on spending a whole lot of money on it but I do want it to sound good. So can anyone tell me a brand and sizes to get?
  2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

http://circlekstrings.com/store/8-strings-ss2.html

Haven't tried them - but I understand they cater to the extended range market.

For tuning as low as B (like a typical 5 string EB) 120 gauge or more is generally needed - but for F# I'm afraid I don't really know.

165?

WOW. just saw they go up to 254 gauge. That's a thicky!:eek:
  3. Jensby design

Jensby design

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

^ Yep a light balanced set from Kalium / Circle K, or even better use the tension chart http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart130105.pdf to design your own set from their singles that is low tension and has a slight and consistent fall in tension from low to high, i have been setting my basses up primarily for tapping for a few years and find that optimum. Custom sets of singles are no more expensive than the sets.
    Personally i would choose an B gauge you are comfortable with and choose each higher string to be very slightly looser, then equalise the tensions of the F# and B.
  5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    As an 8-string player, I would recommend getting one of the larger sets - .174, .182, or .190. Circle K's/Kalium are quite flexible and a .158 will feel far too floppy.

Also, I might recommend that, instead of getting the 8-string set, you get the 7-string set for F#-C and order a single high F one or two gauges lighter than the one that come with the stock 8-string. Since the high F is plain, it just feels much stiffer than the other strings.
  6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Since he plans on tapping he might want the lighter strings anyways.
  7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I still think a .158 is way too light for the low F#, though.

When I tap on the .190 set, even though the tension, flexibility, and action is probably similar across all strings, I find the larger strings are much easier to fret than the thinner strings. As well, you get the bonus of greater clarity in the lower range than you would get with a .158 and a .118, both of which sit below the recommended 30 lb tension mark.

I'd say to go no lighter than the .166 set.
  8. ixlramp

ixlramp

^ Yes, although it may seem counter-intuitive, at equal tensions higher strings are more difficult to tap and get a good volume from. A 'balanced' response, playability and feel comes from inverted tension. I noticed Chapman stick string sets have a mostly inverted tension on the bass side.
  9. Jensby design

Jensby design

Whoa whoa, nobody is asking you to think here :p
    I am currently using a .142 for my F#. I tap most of my low notes.
    I would not recommend going down to 23.9 lbs of tension if you're use to 40+ :meh: your hands will pee themselves :rollno:
  10. wisper6419

wisper6419 Gold Supporting Member

I love TB, i learn more from here then all the mags I read, I will be taking it to my local shop/store and have him take a look see.
    Then we can find the strings together. He has never seen an 8 string, but does wonderful work on guitars and 4/5 string bass so this will be a learning experience for both of us. I believe that I will go with the heavier set so I can tune to the f#. Thanks for all the help, and I will continue to monitor this thread for any more suggestions.