1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What Strings Jack Casady Used When playing that J Bass for the Airplane?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by domsd92, Sep 5, 2011.

1. domsd92

domsd92

Anybody know what strings Jack Casady used when playing that sunburst Jazz Bass in Jefferson Airplane. I would love to get something similar for my J Bass
  2. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

don't know the answer, but it's a damn good question...i presume they were flatwounds, but don't know exactly what brand.

i am currently modifying a fender jazz bass to have exactly the same configuration that Jack used for that bass

notice the pic below. it is a piece of a picture of Jack Casady playing the bass you are talking about:

[​IMG]

i bought a 1961 precision pick up and i am having brian at the Low End in Murfreesboro install it right below the neck just like Jack's, so the bass will have 3 pick up's when finished. it is for my son, who can't wait until the work is done--:hyper:

i have subscribed this thread and await answers!

[​IMG]
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Are you going to have the output moved up to the neck volume location? Always wondered why he did that.

John
  4. domsd92

domsd92

Wow thats gonna be a cool set up! How will the pickup be adjusted, are you installing a third knob for volume control of that pickup? About how much is it gonna cost ya?

Ya i have been wanting to try some flatwounds on my J bass but havent got the guts to make the change. I have got some steel roundwounds and they still sound great!
  5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

For its effect on the tone, of course. :)
  6. Lonesomedave

no, the output location will be unchanged.

he's going to put in stacked control knobs so i (or rather my son) will have infinite control over the volumes of the three pick up's. the stacked knob on the new precision pick up will also have a separate tone knob.

the tone knob for the existing jazz pick up's will be unchanged.

i should have a thread about it in the next couple of days, just called brian and he said i could come pick it up tomorrow.

as far as price, he quoted me 175.00. let's see what it finally comes out to. i thought that was a dern good price considering the routing that must be done, but brian said that's all it would be, since i already had the pick up.

[​IMG]
  7. mongo2

mongo2

I guess you could ask him through his website.
  8. domsd92

domsd92

cool thanks!
  9. Lonesomedave

10. chanson

chanson

Pyramid flats I think
  11. GM60466

GM60466

Fender Flats 105 -045
  12. chanson