1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What the heck is going on with Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sanchorb, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sanchorb

sanchorb

Having heard of some mates who have used Soundgear basses along many years, I decided to trade my current basses for a couple of SR´s. Very excited I got a new SR705 and a used (in very good condition) SR700. The 705 already arrived. :hyper:

[​IMG]

Very nice bass, excellent ergonomics, and quite light for being a 5 string.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Excellent fit and finish...until I arrived to the cable input...

[​IMG]

There´s a lot of gunk, left from the polishing process, so a thorough cleaning of the cavity is worth the time. Ibanez basses are a delight to play.

P.D. These 2 and the incoming SR700 will be held on for a long time, I hope.

[​IMG]
  2. Jefff

Jefff

People build basses, people make mistakes. 800.00 or around that doesn't buy you the very best in QC.
  3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Unacceptable in my book, I would send it back and get another one or something else where the details show attention.
  4. Jefff

Jefff

If I loved the bass I would clean it up and play it. I know for a fact I am going to nick it up anyway. That's who I am.
  5. walldaja

walldaja

That seems to be a problem area for them. I've seen several with the same defect. They really need to do it better.
  6. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Yikes... Was it a floor demo? It looks like a drunk person spent a few minutes trying to get the cable in the jack. I'd send it back or ask for a discount... if you plan on keeping the bass.
  7. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

$800.00 is still alot of money, but that's me, Ibanez back in the 70's and early 80's built really nice basses, what is happening now, Ibanez quality sure isn't what it used to be, that is for sure.
  8. Jefff

Jefff

I'm not saying it's not a lot of money. I AM saying, if that's all thats wrong with an otherwise wonderful bass, it's not a big deal to clean it up your self.

I am also saying that when a company cranks out several hundreds of these a week, things are gonna slip by.
  9. sanchorb

sanchorb

That´s a good point, but nevertheless what happens here is not that the jack input is dirty, that pinkish area you see in the picture is actually NOT painted. Looks like the color spray never got there...:(

Anyway nothing wrong with the rest of the bass, it is just that everything is in the details.
  10. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Speak for yourself. My BTB is one of the finest basses I've ever played.
  11. Jefff

Jefff

If that is going to bother you every time you plug it in then you should return it. Life is too short to be annoyed by something that is supposed to be an antidote to annoyance.

It's just not the kind of thing that would bother me.
  12. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Yup I'll say it one more time, Ibanez sure isn't what they used to be.
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I'd be unhappy with that. If I decided I could live with it, I'd be talking to the vendor about a discount, or if they're unwilling I'd return it. Otherwise, if I couldn't live it with I'd send it back and give a second chance...if it wasn't any better, I'd go for something else.
  14. ZenG

ZenG

That isn't a problem peculiar to Ibanez......

In my travels around the sites I've seen that issue mentioned on I don't know how many basses....
  15. GK Growl

GK Growl

Whatever. I've got a Squier that costs half that much that doesn't have anything remotely as crappy as that on it.
  16. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

That's the kind of thing you should have contacted the company for first and if they didn't respond, THEN you make it public. That probably falls under the umbrella of the warranty- fit & finish are supposed to be better than that and, while the rest of it looks good, the minor details make a company look good, or bad.

You could have given them a chance to make it right before coming here to complain about it.
  17. Jefff

Jefff

And I am sure there are plenty of Ibanez basses that are near perfect.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

All of the Ibanez gear I've owned, 1 Studio Bass, an RG 570 and a JS1200 have been really finely built, tight fittings and refined finishes.

Considering it is Ibanez, if I had to pick one up in a store, I'd almost not even look it over (except off the floor at GC) assuming quality would be in the 99.9997% range for even mid-level instruments.
  19. msaone

msaone

That might bum me out but in that location, I think I'd get over it.
    Can't see it when plugged in and I'd probably do that to it eventually anyway.
  20. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    That just looks like buffing compound dust. More expensive basses than that have more actual problems with the bass. Don't worry about it. If it plays well then keep it, if not then exchange it. Get some Naptha on a Q-tip and clean it up. The bass has a lot of features manufactured in a manner that makes it affordable to you. I think Ibanez is doing a great job.