1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What Thomastik should I use

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pbman, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Pbman

Pbman

All my basses have JF344's but I want to try out a set of either the Infeld bass strings or JR344's

Think classic rock and blues

Which one should I go for?

Thanks
  2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

The Jazz Rounds are interesting and have a unique sound, but for me they are so close to the sound of the Jazz Flats, that I wouldn't bother switching to those if I was looking for a different sound. Also, the tension on the JRs is so low that I find it awkward switching back & forth to more conventional strings. The Infled Superalloys sound and feel much more like a conventional string.

I use Jazz Flats on a Jazz bass for - wait for it - jazz, or whenever I want that thumpy sound. I use the Infeld Superalloys on a Roscoe for rock, funk, or whenever I want a bright, crisp sound.

My $.02
  3. fearceol

fearceol

I was considering trying the TI rounds myself. Are they really that close in tone to the flats, and how would people rate their tension in comparision to DR Sunbeams ? I know they are lower, but are they much lower ?

Thanks.
  4. kingmacaw

kingmacaw

what strings did you end up with? i never tried the sunbeams but really didn't like the hi-beam ss sound too piano sounding compared to ti jazz flats or rounds which are more upright bass sounding. even the lo-rider nickel sound was too piano like for me.
  5. kingmacaw

kingmacaw

played my tobias w/TI jf344 rounds (.89 guage) tonite at a club. great overall sound that clearly cut thru the band mix tho not brite sounding they definitely sound different than the jazz flats tho both make your bass sound more like a bass than a piano, which is what i like most about TI's. the jazz rounds could definitely be the most versatile string for all types of music that you will ever find. the flats are wonderful but not IMHO as versatile. tho such a light guage they produce great lows on my tobias.