1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What to buy: Audio Interface/D.I./Cables?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Shlogo, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Shlogo

Shlogo

Not too long ago I started looking into recording, and after a little bump stopped, but now I am starting again.
    This time I looked up more stuff and tried to get a clearer idea of what I need.
    Some time in February I'll be getting a new Spector Rebop (been saving for a while) and I'm hoping to start recording right away.
    But I would like to get the recording equipment now so I can mess with it and learn what I need to.

Right now I'm using a passive Ibanez Gio 5 string and running it through some dirt pedals.
    I'm not looking to run the signal through any amp before recording (so I don't NEED my amp since I'll be flying some times...).
    And I'm not looking to complicate things too much.

After looking for a while I thought I knew what I needed but now I'm not 100% sure.
    Here's what I THINK I need:
    Audio interface and a D.I.
    And here's what I've been looking at for both:
    PreSonus AudioBox (http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB)
    and Radial JDI (http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdi.php)

My reasoning:
    The PreSonus AudioBox looks like it's simple to hook up and start using.
    The more I read it seems a D.I. cuts down on outside noise interference and the JDI seems like its pretty good for the price.
    And I like how I can run my signal to my computer and my amp and the same time with the JDI.

But then looking at those I wasn't sure what cable would connect them: just a mic cable?

As for price I'm looking to spend $400-500.
    And I'm not trying to do super high album quality, just some for fun/video recording by myself and some friends.

PLEASE correct me if any of this is wrong, if there is something better, etc.

Thanks!!
  2. longfinger

longfinger

I don't think you really need the D.I. for the purpose you're writing of.

On the Presonus Audiobox website it states this..
    > Mixer control (blends the input signal with the computer playback stream for zero-latency monitoring)

So you can get zero latency monitoring from the outputs of the Audiobox.
  3. theory028

theory028 Supporting Member

I've used the previous generation of Audioboxes and they're good interfaces. I like the Focusrite stuff a bit more though. For recording right into the interface, the Focusrite sounded less sterile and shrill. I can't say for sure if there's a real difference because it was probably my bass/string/style that contributed to the tone change. It's more of an anecdote than anything.