1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What to buy ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rickson, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Rickson

Rickson

Hello everyone, I hope you can give me some good advise.

I started playing bass around a year ago and enjoy it immensely. As a European going to the US I will be able to acquire a good USA made bass at a pretty good value. So I plan to buy a serious instrument and have my eyes on Rickenbacker (4003), Fender (J or P) og MM (Stingray 4) as an upgrade from a Godin Freeway 4 i've been using.

It appears to be hard to get prices on Rickenbackers 4003 online, what do they go for (price range) and are they hard to get?

For someone that has been playing for a year, are there any of my choices I should avoid?
  2. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I have also "been there and done that" but be advised that many guitar stores do NOT have stock available in the high-end models. I have been lucky to have been able to buy from online sellers, shipping to my hotel, but I only have acquired "vintage" instruments this way.

Where are you going in the U. S.? That may decide your strategy.
  3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Well, bear in mind that aftersales service might be a bit of an issue if you buy in the US but you're living in Europe. I'd have a good read around and make sure you're happy with the quality control and customer service reputation of whichever brand you go with - that's all I'll say, a quick search will probably fill in the details!
  4. Cookye

Cookye Supporting Member

Try all the ones you have listed then decide which one works for you.... This kind of question leads to a lot of IMO replies. You are the one playing it, you have to be comfortable with it. A collection of personal opinions from others will not get you there. Think of it like this asking this question is the same as asking what underwear you should put on.

Seek each instrument out, try them then you decide which one fits you..
  5. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

+1

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

+1

If you give us an idea of which state(s) and cities you'll be visiting, we can suggest places to check out. Then, like Cookye says, you can try out as many models as possible. This way, you can find what feels and sounds "right" to you.
  7. Major Softie

Major Softie

Have you actually played any of the instruments you're considering? I'm especially asking because of the Ric. They are lots of people's dream bass, but, when the dream comes true, some people discover they aren't all that fond of playing them. Others love them. So, I would try to actually play all the basses you're considering before you make your decision. Don't just go by sound. Your dream bass has to feel right too.